Maxima Clam

Arthur

Hi. I'm looking for any pointers and advices. I have been reefing for more then 15 years but really don't have a lot of experience with Clams. I remember I had a Derasa Clam for a long time but this was few years back. I bought today Maxima Clam from Dave. I'm reading a lot now, want to keep her happy. Many suggesting that instead sitting on sand Maxima likes being on rocks in higher parts of Aquarium. If any of you guys have a experience with Clams, please share. Looking for any pointers. Thank's in advance. I also attached photo.View attachment 19477

cment

what type of lights are you running? How big is it? For the most part try to keep it from getting knocked over. Try and set small rocks around it to keep it upright and place a small base rock underneath it so it can attach its foot. Once that happens you can move it where ever you'd like. I personally start them off not on the sand but a bit higher to mid level in the tank. If your tank as been established for a while now and your parameters are steady along with strong lighting you should be ok.

Arthur

I sold my 10 years old 150 gal. Reef and now I have only 40 gal. Breeder with 20 L sump.I run 2 - 26 AI Hydra HD.

- - - Updated - - -

It is small. Probably around 3"

gonebad395

As said above small rocks to hold up and a base rock to attach a foot lights should be ok do it.

I would get it to attach to a rock before it goes through the sand and attaches to your tank glass

#theMatrix

Also. Keep your cuc away from it.

Mostly while new...my crabs flipped it over and ate the foot over night ..woke up to 3 crabs eating the clam from the foot. Clam being non responsive and shrunken in with the outer shell open it was a gone. Gave the rest to the anemones and the wrasses. It was a 6in gold maxima.

madjoe

Premium member
Also. Keep your cuc away from it.

Mostly while new...my crabs flipped it over and ate the foot over night ..woke up to 3 crabs eating the clam from the foot. Clam being non responsive and shrunken in with the outer shell open it was a gone. Gave the rest to the anemones and the wrasses. It was a 6in gold maxima.
Im gonna say it was dieing already u know how many people have clams and cuc. Crabs r attracted to decay . Just my 2 cents

Fish_wiz2

An easier way to go buy some edible clams at the supermarket, eat them and save the shell. For my reef clams that I wanted to keep on the sand, I would put them into one half of the empty shell with their foot facing the inside of the empty shell.

Also only a dying clam will attract your CUC, never seen a CUC go after a healthy clam and I have had quite a few.

#theMatrix

Naw. It was doing great response to anything over it like fish, mantel was thick too
My wrasse probably did the flipping over same as it had been doing for a week with anything on the sand. I kept sitting it upright every day. That day it was flipped on its side all night. These same crabs have eaten snails and other crabs who wernt on theyre way out.

Im sure theres many with clams and crabs but it takes that asshole wrasse that flips shit on the sand to start the problem.

This was an ultra rare uber clam with torch coral spawn from a system attached to its shell.

No lie, theres a torch or a frogspawn growing on the shell.

Last edited:

Arthur

Thank's guy's for all input. Really appreciate. So far looks good. I put it on small piece of rock and surrounded with rubble rock around. Looks like it attached already ��Will post pic tomorrow

goatous

Small clams can’t survive on photosynthesis alone; they need to be fed every day. The recommendation I got from Reef Wise was Doc's Eco Bytes, but I would expect any live phytoplankton to work.
I have a small Maxima ~2.5” and put a plastic bottle with the bottom cut off over the clam and give it 5 mL’s of live phyto every morning through the mouth of the bottle with the circulation turned off. The water the phyo comes in has lower salinity than normal salt water, so it sinks – which is nice for adding to the bottle. Let the clam filter it for 10-15 min and then remove the bottle.
Kind of wishing I bought a bigger clam that doesn’t need to be feed every day.
Like other said, Maxima’s like being on rock and you probably can’t give it too much light as long as you give it time to adjust.

ultimatemj

Hmm, just for another data point, I bought 2 small (less than 3") clams from Reefwise 4 months ago and have never feed them ;-p

Not saying you shouldn't feed them, just that (so far) mine seem happy with 300PAR and whatever is floating around in the tank~

Note: the pink one was moved up on the rocks a month after this pic
View attachment 19923 View attachment 19924

Last edited:

sullyman

You don't feed clams. Your water and lights do the job no need to feed it anything else. Here's a pic of a clam I've had approx 12 years,

madjoe

Premium member
Hmm, just for another data point, I bought 2 small (less than 3") clams from Reefwise 4 months ago and have never feed them ;-p

Not saying you shouldn't feed them, just that (so far) mine seem happy with 300PAR and whatever is floating around in the tank~

Note: the pink one was moved up on the rocks a month after this pic
View attachment 19923 View attachment 19924
I think its tank to tank thing like u ive grown clams from 2 inch never fed but i always have ton of fish which means ton of poop aka food lol some tanks run super clean they probably should feed