maxspect gyre xf-150

lunacris

so i picked this up today , totally unexpected but this is my review right out of the package . tank is a 210 peninsula mixed reef . lots of pics and when videos are done uploading i will post them up as well . this pump is replacing 2 wp-25 a wp40 and a ebay double powerhead.
package

lots of bubble wrap

and there it is fancy colored box and all

metal box very nice and good weight can only hope inside components match

first thing you see when you open lid is warranty instructions , followed by this double sided quick setup card . then full instructions which are easy to understand and set up

here she is

controller has a nice rubber feel, looks simple but well built

back of controller has a phone case type clip so if you mount its easily removed from back plate ...nice touch !

a quick reference of size , a empty paper towl roll. pretty darn close

and the magnet. def strong not a cheapo . case to it also pretty solid seems like a trend to this piece of equipment

Last edited:

lunacris

extra blades and fittings for them to be swapped out . pretty awesome to have a spare on hand

and last pic pic of unpacking is the blades rotate to be adjusted another neat feature

Last edited:

lunacris

so after getting this guy in the tank followed instructions and began to set . very easy to read and set up imo . as of right now i have it on less then 50% and it really does move water . played around with the wave setting and simply impressed . i will tinker with it more and more today after tank settles a bit . for the price tag i can honestly say im happy with the purchase . i think i will be able to keep all other powerheads (4 ) out of the tank and keep everything happy . down fall to this is sleep mode mode, it would be a nice feature to have but since it will store setting and return to them if powered off (i think)could always use a timer . will look more into this may have missed something. other thing i wasnt thrilled about is how loud this can get but compared to a mp at higher speeds its pretty close . at lower speeds i cant hear anything . another thing i will look into.

Last edited:

lunacris

couple videos to try and show flow ...my tank is nothing to look at at this time but i tried to show the flow with my previous set up powerheads and the gyre . enjoy

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Sweet! Dibs if you love it, but want it to go away :)

Looking forward to a long term review of this water mover.

kdog23

Chris---you had the WP/s on both sides of tank and just one maxspect then ? Are you saying sleep mode is not working then ?...I may pick this up for my 75 if this can be dialed down....get it at the show ?

lunacris

you can see placement of the wp's in the videos , but i had 1 wp40 at far end of peninsula , 2 wp25 below overflow at other end and on the overflow (same side as the wp25's)a ebay double powerhead. yes there is no sleep mode , it can be adjusted multiple ways
1st _constant speed where there are 10 settings from 10% to 100%

2nd_pulsing mode first you set flow speed same 10_100% then you set the pulsing speed 20 different setting from .4 seconds to 30 seconds

3rd_alternating gyre mode first set constant water speed , then set the reverse speed , then you set time between alternating flow patterns from 2, 5, 10,15,30min 1,2,4,6,12 hours . so with this setting you can set it to run on constant speed at ie 40% for 3 hours and then switch to reverse @80% for 3 hours . or however you choose to set

then you have feed mode which stops pump for 10 min then resumes whatever setting it was prev at

lastly yes i bought from show .

Last edited:

lunacris

something else you can do is flip the rotors and spin the cage so in alternating gyre mode you could have both forward and reverse mode running at same time then switch opposite side when it alternates.pretty neat .

dgagvgeg

man wish I could of picked one of those up. I am going to wait for the smaller ones. I think in my 65 gallon the flow would be way too much

MMreef

How is the noise with it Chris? Is it silent or more like Vortech pump? I almost picked one too , but decided to see how they preform in peoples tanks first.

lunacris

pretty close to mp 40 imo . when on higher speeds def is audible . not super loud but from what ive noticed most powerheads are audible when they move a ton of water

adam87

I didn't get one yet, end of the month maybe. Going to use the fragtasticreef code on it to save some money.