measure gph vs actual in propeller pumps

WeePee

link to full article @ reefbuilders blog: http://reefbuilders.com/2011/07/13/propeller-pump-study-reveals-big-differences-flow-ratings-actual-output/#more-44661

some other important notes:
"Based on these results, Tunze conducted its own independent tests on the Tunze pumps and have confirmed our results. On further discussion with Tunze we do not feel the errors were deliberate attempts to mislead, but rather their misguided faith in theoretical calculations that often do not translate well into real world application and use. In light of these finding Tunze is working to remedy the situation."

and

"We would like to thank EcoTech Marine for providing the large aquarium and renting the equipment needed for the study. The work was performed under the technical guidance and consultation with Bill Straka and Sanjay Joshi of Penn State University. The data was collected by Mike Sandford during his summer internship at EcoTech Marine."

this test is just making me even happier with two mp10's.

fastrc

Amen jen, I wouldn't pay that much for the others when koralia's do the same job for a 1/8 of the price. And the koralia's do a GREAT job hooked to a reefkeeper for the wave maker.

jcarlilesiu

I also run 2 Koralia Evo 7s and 2 koralia 3s on an Aquacontroller.

Have been tossing around the idea of upgrading the two koralia 3s to MP40s.

What do you think?

fastrc

They are the (bomb) for the price. Mine has been on my tanks from day 1 with zero problems.

WeePee

I also run 2 Koralia Evo 7s and 2 koralia 3s on an Aquacontroller.

Have been tossing around the idea of upgrading the two koralia 3s to MP40s.

What do you think?
what size (gallon and dimensions) tank do you have?

after using 2 koralia 3's in my old 30 gallon, im much happier with the 2 MP10's in my 75.

scotty

mp series is still the best, and look at those numbers, right there shows that tunze, whoever is deciding how much flow is coming off their machines, needs to be fired. that much difference is ridiculous.

only issue with any of the other guys over the mp series is the real estate they take up in the tank, other than that, and you can deal with it, i agree with you both, can't beat that price.

edit, i re-read that post, and I use too many comma/run on sentences sorry.