Media block/sphere use

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Anyone here use a media block or plate? Is there one brand or design you prefer above the others? How did you decide on the size? TIA

Illinijoe

TeamCR
i use a marinepure block the bigger one (4inch). My research indicated placing it in a low flow area will allow an environment for denitrifying bacteria. I use the block to reduce nitrates.

Without using anything my nitrates were at 50. With biopellets and the block my nitrates are a 0. I took the biopellet reactor offline and my nitrates have been at 5-10 consistently over the last 6 months or so with just the block. Its done what i hoped it would do and corals are happy running a mixed reef.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I use both Marinepure spheres and Seachem Matrix. If I have to choose one, I will go with Marinepure even though it's more expensive. Seachem Matrix are very small and some tends to float. There are new players in town though with Brightwell releasing their BioBricks last year or 2 years ago.

tinman

i use siporax, they are l the same thing ..

one essential point to be considered when using them is they are extremely effective and would strip nutrients far too much so use it in a very low flow area in the sump like to the side.. i place mine along the wall of the sump in a corner so there is water flowing thru them but doesn't look so.. unless ofcourse you have no live rock at all and completely depending on it for nitrification.

mikenh77

I read that research and trident testing shows they may release aluminum into the water. Do you recommend one? I was thinking of the marine pure 4 inch thick block. I don't have any nitrates though...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
At one point I ran 3 of the marinepure 4x4 blocks. I'm now down to one and even then, have debated pulling it out. They've never pullled any noticable nutrients out from my tank. Since I've added an ATS, which does effectively pull nutrients. Looking back I'd never had added the blocks to the tank. I do carbon dose, run GFO and now use the ATS. That said the ATS was the last item added, so in theory if the block did a good job at pulling nutrients, the ATS would have never taken off.

jrwoltman

I have the MarinePure Spheres and they seem to be doing what they are supposed to. I rinse them in water change water every three months to get the crud off.