MH vs T5 for biocube 29

EyeReef

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if you guys can help me decide. I have two fixtures for my 29gallon biocube. One is a 6 bulb T-5 Fixture (mixture of 10k and actinics) and the other is a 150watt MH fixture with a 14k bulb.

The T-5's is definitely brighter but makes everything more washed out.
The 150 MH 14K is dimmer, more blue, but makes the coral look much better

Which one do you guys recommend me go with in terms of color and growth of the corals. I have a mixture of sps and softies.

Thanks all!

The reefer

+ 1 LEDs the savings on it would pay itself off. How much wattage difference r there between ur t5 to mh?

EyeReef

I know LED is the way to go now..but my tank is only setup for a short time before I start on my externships...So I want to make use of what I have now.

The mh is 150 watt and the t-5 is 6x39 watt I believe..

EyeReef

oopsie 6x18 watts :boom:
Woah, 6x39 are those 36" bulbs? That is going to look kind of funny over a biocube since you can fit 2 biocubes under it and will likely bleach out some coral. The 150w MH would be perfect for a mixed reef as long as you want to keep your SPS in the top half of the tank.

SaylorsReef

more so b/c of heat and electicity?
How about coral growth and color?

Thanks Brenda

Both heat and electricity, but also because of the many choices I have with the bulbs that are available. My bulbs also last 18 months. I changed MH bulbs around 9 months.

I was able to grow SPS without issue with T5, that tank has since been moved, and I no longer keep SPS, but the growth and color was amazing. Once I get my 90g setup again I'll be doing SPS with T5...that is assuming I don't fall head over heals in love with LEDs first.

EyeReef

Michael, I'm surprised you don't like the colors from the T5s.
I guess the bulbs I have in there is just to white for my eyes..Ive been spoiled by 20k bulbs for too long....I can easily buy new bulbs and config it to my taste..but just trying to get away with what I have for now.......

scotty

i say sell me one of those, but i do love the look of the MH, and TBH you will get very similar heat transfer from both.

SaylorsReef

Unfortunately bulb availability is not a positive aspect of his fixture. The only people out there making the 20" 18w bulbs are Current USA and UVL and the UVL is only available through nanotuners. Only about 6 options for bulbs.

Oh, I did not know that.

EyeReef

I have the 150 over it right now and it actually covers the tank adequately..
but I have to do my research on lighting since this tank was an impulse buy hah :rolleyes (2):

MMreef

I recommend T5 ,you can get any color you want ( I would buy good quality bulbs like ATI),less heat transfer to your tank, better coverage with light through the whole tank.

EyeReef

I ended up using the t-5 fixture and bought new UVL bulbs. Great coverage, and getting good colors on the corals. No regrets here.

MMreef

You will be happy,no shade spots on your corals,they will color up and grow from every direction.

MMreef

There is nothing wrong with MH,it all depends on a person and his preference.MH are great for corals give you shimmer effect that T5 will not