MiniBow 1 Office "Tank" (how many tangs will fit?)

Herbie

Banned
Just kidding about the tangs

So I just set up this little guy and was going to get a betta for it, but I thought I would throw it out there for any suggestions. (If I thought I could get a zoa in there I would). It will get plenty of incandescent and flourescent light, but not much else. Any suggestions other than guppies or a betta? The petco by me has tiny baby bettas, so that is my current front runner. I'd love a little plant, but I can't imagine I have the light for that.
View attachment 5785

RedDevil.258

If you want I have 2 lovely fantail guppies that I can give you. Looking to convert the FW to a nano SW. Otherwise I am going to feed them to my BTA! HAHAHA

Herbie

Banned
If you want I have 2 lovely fantail guppies that I can give you. Looking to convert the FW to a nano SW. Otherwise I am going to feed them to my BTA! HAHAHA
Thanks, but I have guppies coming out the wazoo (it's very painful). If you want to get rid of them I can place them in my guppy dedicated 30 half cyl at home (but the nem would prolly like them too)

Galaxy rasboras .. three of them :)

and thats a 3 gallon right ?
It's 1 gallon, but it has a pump/filter. It's also amazingly silent.

jayjigga

Galaxy rasboras .. three of them :)

and thats a 3 gallon right ?
+1 on galaxies. They're a gorgeous nano fish. You can do a little school of chili's if you like their colors. Does it have its own light built in or are you going completely ambient? There are still plants you can probably get away with, or we can retro the canopy to fit some leds ;)

Herbie

Banned
+1 on galaxies. They're a gorgeous nano fish. You can do a little school of chili's if you like their colors. Does it have its own light built in or are you going completely ambient? There are still plants you can probably get away with, or we can retro the canopy to fit some leds ;)
It has one of those christmas bulb types, but I was noticing that there is tons of room for a retro. There is no heater though, so the incandescent bulb is probably a little better.

jayjigga

It has one of those christmas bulb types, but I was noticing that there is tons of room for a retro. There is no heater though, so the incandescent bulb is probably a little better.
Does the office get really cold? If not, I wouldn't worry about a heater. If you can keep the tank around 74-75*, you should be fine for most. If you haven't tried shrimp, I would say go shrimp-only and enjoy the invert world for a little.

Jep21

if u gonna do freshwater get like a king betta from petco and put some shrimps and plants and u can still retro fit it with leds so u can grow some plants

Herbie

Banned
I might have to try some shrimp. I would have thought they were more sensitive than fish. Where the heck do you get those though. Standard LFS and box stores never seem to have FW inverts other than snails.

Jep21

I might have to try some shrimp. I would have thought they were more sensitive than fish. Where the heck do you get those though. Standard LFS and box stores never seem to have FW inverts other than snails.
you can check out aquarium adventure in shamburg they usually carry some fw inverts like the amano shrimp and cherry shrimp.. you can also do a diy ato to help with water evap..

Jep21

this is a little bit more adventurous idea but u can do an anemone in the tank put a PAR38 bulb over it and put an aqueon hob filter and you'll be all good.. put a porcelain crab in there and bam awesome office tank lol..

i probably will get bashed for that but i kept my one bta i got from mcf in a 2.5 gallon tank for a good 6 months and it did good..

Herbie

Banned
oh man, please don't tempt me to go SW on this!! I think a betta and a couple of shrimp is the way to go. I ALWAYS start a project with a limited goal in mind and then go over budget by a million percent. If I'm not careful I'm going to end up with a 40b on my desk and a 29 sump underneath. You enablers would love to see it too!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have 2 gups in there now to check viability and they seem to be very happy. I'll run to FP and see if Steve has anything interesting alter in the week. I'm wondering if I need an airstone since the gups seem to be loligagging a little, but there is a pump, so it might just be them hiding in the lid shadow. These are on sale at petco for $23 in case anyone wants to join me on this extremely complex and technical scientific journey. :)

jayjigga

I would go with some crystal reds. Cherries are more common and are considered the "roaches" of the FW world because they're quite hardy, but if you like the candy cane look (like your avatar), you'll love crystal reds. Seeing you're in RL, it's probably cheaper to ship in some great looking shrimp, and if you wanted local, there's a couple spots. Golden Aquarium (a bit of a drive) has some of the nicest selection for shrimp. I've been thinking about getting back into it. There's a couple reefers who have shrimp for sale too, so PM me if you would like to know who.

Jep21

oh man, please don't tempt me to go SW on this!! I think a betta and a couple of shrimp is the way to go. I ALWAYS start a project with a limited goal in mind and then go over budget by a million percent. If I'm not careful I'm going to end up with a 40b on my desk and a 29 sump underneath. You enablers would love to see it too!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have 2 gups in there now to check viability and they seem to be very happy. I'll run to FP and see if Steve has anything interesting alter in the week. I'm wondering if I need an airstone since the gups seem to be loligagging a little, but there is a pump, so it might just be them hiding in the lid shadow. These are on sale at petco for $23 in case anyone wants to join me on this extremely complex and technical scientific journey. :)
lol
yeah i thnk your guppies would be fine witha shrimp or 2 u can always try some ghost shrimp.. but those things can get aggressive in a small tank .

Jep21

I would go with some crystal reds. Cherries are more common and are considered the "roaches" of the FW world because they're quite hardy, but if you like the candy cane look (like your avatar), you'll love crystal reds. Seeing you're in RL, it's probably cheaper to ship in some great looking shrimp, and if you wanted local, there's a couple spots. Golden Aquarium (a bit of a drive) has some of the nicest selection for shrimp. I've been thinking about getting back into it. There's a couple reefers who have shrimp for sale too, so PM me if you would like to know who.
+1

Herbie

Banned
Thanks guys! I thought this would be more of a joke, but I am actually pretty excited to get a few little "Skrimps" (for Walt) in there. I have always been a fan of the cherries, but have never kept a FW shrimp. This should be fun!