Modified Innovative-Marine 8w LED

m.miller1547

I'm in the planning stages so far. Im unsatisfied with the color of these LEDs and output. I would like to use the origional housing to retrofit either two 3ups or 6 cree LEDs. I'm planning to run them at 700ma max dimnable with meanwell 27d. Any ideas on cooling?

Phil5130

what are the dimensions of the housing? would it be possible to fit a heatsink inside the housing? if you do that it would help with cooling. additionally you could drill holes in the top and ends of the housing which would allow hot air to rise out of the unit and pull cool air in through the sides and over the heatsink

Phil5130

Good call. You could probably mount a small fan on top of the housing. It shouldn't take much to cool 6 LEDs. I am building a 8 LED refugium light. It will be cooled with a 12x3.5 inch heat sink and a 3 inch fan. Hopefully, I can get that put together soon (according to fedex the parts will be delivered later today). Once I get that assembled, I will let you know how the cooling works out.

m.miller1547

Okay. I bought three xr-e rb, 2 xp-g cw and a uv led. All fitted perfectly in the fixture. I drilled a bunch of holes on top to ventilate any air. No fan yet. I'll let u know how hot it gets. I'm running em at 700 ma. The color looks awesome.