MONSTER 12 Gallon tank!!

Hey Guys just started up in the reefing world and cant wait to get my "feet wet". I started cycling the tank that I got from MR_Z really nice guy btw! I got the tank stand and built in LEDs and a hydor heater no bio media which I dont think is nessary anyway. I belive the last time I did a nano tank everyone told me to take it out since its really not needed. My tank also has one peice of LR to hopefully seed the rest of the dry rock thats in there I have some photos any suggestions would be great. I cant wait to just get a tiny pair of clowns in there and of course some softies since its such a small tank I wanted to start it off right getting water done right etc. It has been cycling for about 6 days now! no signs of diatoms or cycling :(

IMG_9678 by mkhan041, on Flickr

IMG_9662 by mkhan041, on Flickr

yogoshio

One ground up raw shrimp will definitely jump start the cycling.
Yeah, you need to give the bacteria something to feed on.

Either throw some mysis is a bag or you can feed a little every day for a week or two.

Dr. Tim's is also a product that will greatly speed up cycling, but still needs something to feed it, like a dead shrimp or decaying food.

riv

Premium member
No to the shrimp just ask them for the ammonia usually they give it to u for free !

yogoshio

If they don't give you ammonia, then you'll need to have something to feed the bacteria. I wouldn't just throw shrimp in, but put it in a filter sock or something so that the chemicals are released into the water but you can pull out the solid stuff easily.

Even if they do give you ammonia, you need a constant source instead of a one time drop. I've used Bio-Spira, but never Dr. Tim's so I don't know if the directions are exactly the same though.

Got it! Orderd it through amazon saved a few box got exactly what you guys recommended unfortunately had to pay for ammonia :( but I will get it on Tuesday hopefully and get this thing going! Can't wait very excited!

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Yeah we miss MR_Z, we don't like to see members go..

I never used any product to get a cycle going.. But keep us updated!!!!

Don't be afraid to ask questions

7Hogwarts

Premium member
ask the company for ammonia? sorry for the stupid questions
You could just pee in your tank!
Believe it or not, that was something that did got said you could do many years ago. I personally never did it, but there is biological reasoning to it.

Thedg

Believe it or not, that was something that did got said you could do many years ago. I personally never did it, but there is biological reasoning to it.
+1
I've never actually done this either, but I always tell my brother in law who took one of my old tanks during a move that I had!

Lil BamBam

Premium member
+1
I've never actually done this either, but I always tell my brother in law who took one of my old tanks during a move that I had!
Alright!!! Lets teach the noobs to pee in a tank to get a cycle going.. WTH!! LMFAO!!

riv

Premium member
I use dr. Tim's for my 125g but I put some cromis in right after I dump the bottle in. Never had a problem.

riv

Premium member
No I put three chromis their waste was the ammonia. U only use ammonia if u doing it fishless. Which is recommended for smaller tanks.