Monti loving freaks

Siebo

Premium member
JF is having a live sale on August 23. This was a sneak peak pic.

This monti is sick! JF Brain Freeze

SkullV

Possibly a tad enhanced but jf has some LEGIT pieces that everyone wishes they had.
Unfortunately out of my couple JF pieces, all of them are pretty nice, none of them look anything like the photos he posts. Definitely a nice guy bringing a lot to the table, but I bet if he didn't enhance the photos so much, they would STILL sell just based on his name.

If that is a "tad" enhanced, it's a pretty far cry from the frags he's actually sending out:

and

His WYSIWYG stuff is pretty accurate though.

For example here is the bugout stylo in the normal listing:

and the WYSIWYG listing:

and mine:

Looks just like the WYSIWYG, nothing like the normal listing.

Now max out the saturation in Photobucket's crude editor and we're getting closer to his FS listing:

Last edited:

ultimatemj

Nope. They look pretty close to me...and I know mine came from him.

My photo is a bit "brighter" but the colors look the same to me. The Jason pic shows a less mature piece than mine...if that's what you're referring to.

My pics aren't great...here is yesterday's pic...looks kinda drab here, yet you can still tell it's a similar green, with a slight 2 tone, as Jason's pic.
View attachment 4670

Tkroll0321

Premium member
I've bought a few pieces from jason that were dead on. Unfortunately lost them in a crash awhile back. His JF HellRider Favia was my favorite piece and was exactly as it looks on his site.

Unfortunately I think the market is now almost demanding that vendors edit their photos at least slightly. You look at almost all the big name vendors and you can tell the saturation has been tweaked in a lot of their stuff. Just have to personally decide which ones are sending you the best product and JF would still be someone on the top of my list.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I think that sometimes when buying acro's many of the stock mother colony pics are taken when the piece is at its best. Then the colony is placed under 10K lighting to maximize growth which can alter the color. I've bought dozens of sticks that were not as colorful until a few weeks after being under my 20K's. And I'm not referring to the lose of color from shipping, I was told this by Adam at Battlecorals when I was buying directly out of his grow-out tanks and driving the sticks straight home. I'd assume that some sellers of WYSWYG acros would need to saturate pics or nobody would buy them.

tinman

I think that sometimes when buying acro's many of the stock mother colony pics are taken when the piece is at its best. Then the colony is placed under 10K lighting to maximize growth which can alter the color. I've bought dozens of sticks that were not as colorful until a few weeks after being under my 20K's. And I'm not referring to the lose of color from shipping, I was told this by Adam at Battlecorals when I was buying directly out of his grow-out tanks and driving the sticks straight home. I'd assume that some sellers of WYSWYG acros would need to saturate pics or nobody would buy them.
That makes complete sense actually.

i havent bought much online and what ever i recieved in bad shape is blamed on shipping stress. but i think the ones in the case you are talking about would color up much faster than the ones that are browned out to begin with.

Thanks for info ETR

i think most of these big name coral retailers are photographers first and coral farmers second...with that said, i've come to accept the fact that pictures will always look better than what you actually get...it's not just the photoshopping but shipping stress, lighting, magnification, etc...for instance, chalice frags always look so yummy in pictures...you get it and it's the size of fingernail...with that said, i've had some really good experiences lately with AquaSD and Jason Fox and will likely to purchase from them again...AquaSD stuff has come to me fully colored up, chunky and healthy and the stuff i won at the live sale event this past weekend from jason fox (who i've ordered from before) also arrived colored up and healthy...do they look exactly like the ones in the pictures? no, not exactly, the red isn't as red, the greens don't pop quite as much, etc...but i know i'm just chasing a dream...i know my lights and water quality and overall husbandry isn't as good as his so all i can hope for is for the coral to retain some of its color and/or morph into something just as nice in my tank

a pic of what i got today under all blues...left to right Reef Raft Spiral Nauti, Tyree Setting Sun, JF Speed Bomb, JF Slow Burn (Bottom Row) Pro Corals Rainbow, ORA Pearlberry, Tyree Pink Lemonade, ORA Red Planet

the Tyree Pink Lemonade is, in fact, really yellow in person, not capture on cam...in fact all the corals look very very nice, i just can't take photos worth a damn!

Last edited:
Some nice acros there! What bright zoa is that photobombing?
i have no idea the name and neither does Ira, the guy i bought it from, lol...he sold it to me for 10 bucks

here are they are with the whites ramping up...only at 10% brightness so far but better representation of what they actually look like...still not a great pic by any means by i am 100% happy with what i got...now i just have to wait for AI to ship me my Hydra52 upgrade already, it's been more than a week!

Last edited:

tinman

Speckled fire and ice i believe

i have no idea the name and neither does Ira, the guy i bought it from, lol...he sold it to me for 10 bucks

here are they are with the whites ramping up...only at 10% brightness so far but better representation of what they actually look like...still not a great pic by any means by i am 100% happy with what i got...now i just have to wait for AI to ship me my Hydra52 upgrade already, it's been more than a week!

SkullV

I'm less concerned with the sticks that don't color up for a few weeks, or even months, and more concerned with things that rarely if ever look like the mothers no matter what anyone does (SOTR Milli, MOP, Bugout Stylo, etc.). I agree totally about the mother colony photos being taken at their best though. Reef Raft is notorious for that. They pull the colony out of the ocean, immediately stick it under the bluest light possible, photograph it, then chop it into a thousand pieces that NEVER look like the mother. Its just really unfortunate, because if none of the online sellers over-saturated or even photoshopped their photos, the nicest acros would still be the nicest and the most high end pieces would still be the most high end. Only takes one photoshopper to ruin it for everyone.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I'm less concerned with the sticks that don't color up for a few weeks, or even months, and more concerned with things that rarely if ever look like the mothers no matter what anyone does (SOTR Milli, MOP, Bugout Stylo, etc.). I agree totally about the mother colony photos being taken at their best though. Reef Raft is notorious for that. They pull the colony out of the ocean, immediately stick it under the bluest light possible, photograph it, then chop it into a thousand pieces that NEVER look like the mother. Its just really unfortunate, because if none of the online sellers over-saturated or even photoshopped their photos, the nicest acros would still be the nicest and the most high end pieces would still be the most high end. Only takes one photoshopper to ruin it for everyone.
Totally agree