Moving Clam

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Well, this might be a stupid question, but I've had my first clam for several months now and he's doing great in my sand bed. However, it seems to be slowing moving from where I placed him. Do these things move around?

lunacris

I've had mine slightly move but not like a anemone or like that just small turns from the foot grabbing rock.

ColaAddict

They have those sticky tongue looking foot that they can use to either stick themselve to rock or push themselves around.

It's a maxima. It's moved about 1.5 inches in 3 weeks.
The maxima is moving because it is unhappy in the sand. Maximas are rock dwelling clams. If you want to keep it in the sand place a piece of flat rock below it so that it can attach. It moves by blasting water, not by using it's bissal filiments.

poidog

yes. I have 4 of them. just saw one of the little ones do it the other day. They are all in my sand bed, happy and awaiting their transfer to the upgraded tank.

EricTheRed

The maxima is moving because it is unhappy in the sand. Maximas are rock dwelling clams. If you want to keep it in the sand place a piece of flat rock below it so that it can attach. It moves by blasting water, not by using it's bissal filiments.
Thanks for the info. I figured the moving meant it wasn't happy about something.

EricTheRed

yes. I have 4 of them. just saw one of the little ones do it the other day. They are all in my sand bed, happy and awaiting their transfer to the upgraded tank.
Do you always keep yours in the sb or will you place them on rock in your new tank?