MP-40 "Popping"

kerber13

Hey guys i put my new MP-40 in my 55 gal tank and it's making this popping noise...idk if it's the actual powerhead...at first i thought it was debris hitting the impeller but it wasn't corresponding...then i checked shakey rock but no such luck nothin is moving...anybody got any other ideas?
thanks much, Erik Kerber

kerber13

Sorry not new used and it looks properly aligned... the nut on the impeller was loose and i tightened that could that still be loose?

helitaiwan963

idk if that would make a popping sound though... it sounds like it might not be aligned properly. Unless a bearing or something on the dryside is bad...

kerber13

IDK he had it running when i got there...no clicking...ill check it out in the morning...imma be so mad if it broken or something

helitaiwan963

who'd u buy it from? I think it' just missaligned... aligning these things are a PITA... i always accidentally bump my dryside a bit sometimes when i reach on the side of the tank to fill my ATO container... then i have to sit there for 5 mins getting it just right... lol

kerber13

could it be air inside the pump? i c a little vortech on the surface bringing down an air pocket...nvr quite reaches the pump thoo...hmmm why cant anything ever go right?

helitaiwan963

I doubt it's that... That sounds like a pump sucking in air, not a clicking sound or popping sound... Did u do the pin spacer right for ur glass thickness?