My 1.2 Gallon pico build...

pensiveone

Yes, you read that correctly; 1.2 gallons! Going to try an experiment and see if I can get this to work. I picked up this little tank at a rummage sale last summer and forgot about it until recently. Its all glass and measures 6" x 6" x 8" wide. Did the calculation and came up with 1.2 gallons. For light I am going to make a DIY unit from this metal box I picked up at the Restore. It measures 6" by 10" so its a pretty close fit. I plan to build a stand to hold the light over the tank. I have two dry rocks that fit and weigh just over a pound each so I will pick one of those two to use. Not sure yet, but leaning towards the one on the left. For heat I will order a betta heater to put under the gravel. For circulation I could probably get away with an airstone since there are no power heads small enough for this..are is there? Hmmm... maybe I could use one of those little water fountain pumps that come in those novelty desktop water fountains? Might give that a try.
View attachment 9860
View attachment 9861
View attachment 9862

Darienreefs7

That pump won't last very long. Maybe the Hydor nano? I'm running a wp10 in my 2.5 and it's waaaaay over powered

jrpark22000

Premium member
you can also use a small hob filter like the aquaclear. They will provide a little more water volume and all the needed flow.

pensiveone

Well, I have finally set up this pico tank. I am currently using a small desk lamp that I modded by changing out the Halogen light with LEDs. Its only 3 watts, but seems enough for now. My last light project was just too bright so now I have a 9W Par 20 off ebay onts it way instead. The Mushrooms, GSP and Kenyan Tree seem to be doing fine so far. A tiny Azoo HOB is providing plenty of water circulation.
View attachment 10895View attachment 10896View attachment 10897

Last edited:

Paulip

What makes it a lot easier is that you have a bigger tank with stable water parameters. So, you can do big water changes like Melev was doing.

Reef Central had an article about the depletion rates. My memory of the maths is very rough but the function was implying a 50% WC every other day. Obviously, people have gotten by with less.

Last edited: