My 1st, 2nd tank!

Duc1098

Hey everyone!

So I have been thinking for a while of starting another tank and doing things a bit differently then I did with my 180g in-wall build I did 2.5 years ago, which also happened to be my first tank. After months of debating I finally decided to just go with it and thanks to the very helpful guys out at Reefwise I got a great deal on a new Marineland 93g 30"x30"x24" rimless tank. I will be picking it up this weekend and start putting a equipment list together and keep this thread updated. This is the equipment list I have so far:

Vertex Illumina SR360 24"
Reef Octopus POC 6"
Speedwave DC-10000 for a return pump

That's it for now, still haven't decided on a custom sump, a trigger systems or just getting a tank and making something myself. I am going to have a custom welded frame stand made and get a cabinet built to cover the frame. Any thoughts or ideas let me know. I'll post some pictures when I have something to post.

Duc1098

Stopped at Reefwise and picked up my tank today from Brian. Also talked with Steve a little bit about some DIY LED's and I think he talked me in to just doing the myself. I can basically get two 24" setups for about $500 less then buying one 24" Vertex. He pointed me in the direction of a website he uses and I must say, a lot of different setups are available now then there was even just a year or two ago.

Well here is a picture of the tank. Gotta take some measurement and talk with my welder at work tomorrow about making the stand.

Duc1098

So I ordered my lightning last night from LEDGroupBuy.com. This is my first time doing an LED DIY and gonna be my first time using LEDs on a tank so let me know if I'm missing something.

x50 - Exotics True Violet LEDs
x20 - Cree XT-E 3UP LEDs (2RB/1WH)
x8 - Ocean Coral White LEDs
x2 - 24" MakersLED heatsink
x2 - 180w 3.75a 48VDC power supply
x8 - LDD-700h Drivers
x2 - LDD-500h Drivers
and 1 Coralux Storm X Controller

So what do you think? Is it going to be enough light?

yman182

how did you end up selecting how many and which LEDs to get? I am currently starting up a bigger tank also and am looking into building my own LED setup.

yman182

Thanks, I just found that Spreadsheet about 10 minutes prior to you posting this! Going to try it out now!

Duc1098

Well first of two lights is moving along. About a third of the way done on the wiring for just fixture.

Also, bought a sump off William Lutman a couple of days ago.