my 30 ish gallon sump

WeePee

so a while ago i decided to build myself a sump for my 75 gallon tank.
I was able to get plexi precut in the sizes i needed, and for no charge. so that was nice.

the sump dimensions come it at roughly, 36" x 16" x 16"
the fuge chaimber comes to approx 16 gallons,
the center sump comes to approx 6.33 gallons,
and the return comes to approx 5.5 gallons.

some construction pics:
2 sides up.

3 sides + bubble trap

complete!

and in place:

the blue hue of the pic is from the display tank lights being tested, in operation the sand bend will block that out. you can also see the fuge light i have set up above the approx 7" DSB in the fuge.

how the overflow plumbing works,
water comes from the tank overflow, then a T connector diverts some water flow to the skimmer, this is regulated with a valve. this water enters skimmer, then into the return of the sump.
the water that doesn't get skimmed goes on to hit another T connector (hidden by tank stand in pic), this diverts water to the sump section (probably filled with live rock), this is also regulated by a valve, the remaining water goes to the fuge section.

this plumbing will direct water to my skimmer and every section of my sump, and can be regulated with the turn of a valve.

this is my first sump and plumbing design, so i hope it passes!

EyeReef

thanks for sharing...looks professionally made.
Any problems with leak during your initial water test?

cyan0304

let me know if it does! And do you have a contact person? You have the same size tank that I have but I have a wet/dry filter that I converted into a fuge. I am looking into upgrading it!

misenplace101

correct me if i'm wrong... I thought that you would want all the water to go throught the skimmer first than into the fuge and then back into your tank.

What return are you using.

+1 on the sump...looks sweet.

WeePee

thanks for sharing...looks professionally made.
Any problems with leak during your initial water test?
i hate to say it, but there were. and it was partly my fault, and partly the fault of the person who cut the plexi sheets for me. I should have routed the edges perfectly straight when i noticed they didn't have the flattest shape to some of them. I had a minor leak in the baffle between the fuge and sump, and another very small leak in one corner of the thank. both fixed up with silicone and the tank managed a 24 hr 100% full test (literally filled it to the top).

correct me if i'm wrong... I thought that you would want all the water to go throught the skimmer first than into the fuge and then back into your tank.

What return are you using.

+1 on the sump...looks sweet.
if it went skimmer into the fuge, would there still be enough nutrients in the water for chaeto to eat up? generally ive seen skimmer section, and fuge section on opposite ends of the sump.

but really, as long as the water makes its rounds im sure its all practically the same in the end.

misenplace101

i hate to say it, but there were. and it was partly my fault, and partly the fault of the person who cut the plexi sheets for me. I should have routed the edges perfectly straight when i noticed they didn't have the flattest shape to some of them. I had a minor leak in the baffle between the fuge and sump, and another very small leak in one corner of the thank. both fixed up with silicone and the tank managed a 24 hr 100% full test (literally filled it to the top).

if it went skimmer into the fuge, would there still be enough nutrients in the water for chaeto to eat up? generally ive seen skimmer section, and fuge section on opposite ends of the sump.

but really, as long as the water makes its rounds im sure its all practically the same in the end.
Good point on the nutrients. I'm still confused on all the different type of sump/fugue setup. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk