My 33L Nano

fwadiver

I know its not really a nano but i started the tank with that intention. current setup is a AGA 33L (48x12x12) with a 20L sump, total volume is 40-45 gallons. I started off all HOB, moved to HOB overflow with sump, and then when I moved to chicagoland I took the opportunity to drill my tank for a 700GPH glass-holes overflow and 1/2" return. I have a vertex in-100 skimmer, run bio pellets in a JNS alpha1 reactor, and typically run carbon/gfo in phosban reactors but i am switching over to BRS reactors soon as i get them mounted to my stand. Return pump is an eheim. additional flow is via 2 vortech mp10's. Current light fixture is a 4 bulb t5 (chinese fixture) with ATI blue+, blue special, coral+ and a UV superactinic. I have a fuge light to grow chaeto which is a custom LED with 10 red bridgelux leds with 3 royal blue bridgelux leds. Everything is mostly automated with a reef angel controller. Now for what everyone really wants; pictures!!!!

tank history:
Nov. 2011

Jan 2012

Sept 2012

10/9/2012 - 'new' tank

clam:

frag rack

sump:

frags:

cowrie

palys

algea grow light

spotty my target mandarin

galexea

BigKev23

I like those blue palys... when your ready for some SPS frags, I will trade you for a frag of them if you want. I am like about 10-15 minutes away from you in Naperville.

Herbie

Banned
Not sure what you mean by break the frame?
Correct me if I am wrong, but i think there is a piece of screen top rail sitting on top of the tank in one of the empty pictures (10/9 pic) which is, i think, what he is referencing. I really like the shape of that tank. Had you considered blacking out the back to cover up the stuff until your coraline (which is awesome) finishes off the back? Just a thought.

fwadiver

oh yes that is a piece of window screen frame.
unfortunately lost my coraline when i moved the tank :(. Never been big on painting the tanks, might get a piece of the black backing and tape it on.

the aquatic log is not part of reef angel its like $7 a year subscription and lets you chart your params and set up reminders for water changes etc and makes that cool forum sig so everyone doesn't have to ask 'what are your params' when you post a question. The top part is the reef angel, my salinity probe is going a little whacko right now i think when the dosing pumps kick on it screws it up but being able to check my tank temp and ph from my phone, as well as switch the skimmer/return off makes it worth it for me. The main reason i snagged the reef angel is the number of controllable outlets, the basic package has 8 outlets and you can add up to something like 48 i think. I eventually am going to get fancy with some float switches to make a automatic water change system. Also can do either 0-10v or pwm dimming control.

fwadiver

whelp... i think i found my nitrate factory... recently upgraded to an eheim return pump and forgot about the foam prefilter inside the shroud... full of crap when i opened it up... so that is trash binned... lets see what happens now. Also added 500ml of seachem de-nitrate in a spare reactor i had, driven with a hydor pico pump, even if it doesnt do squat for nitrate it adds some extra bio filter..

fwadiver

Hooray, found a memory card for my camera, can take actually good pictures now.

Nuked my dictoya with peroxide:

but that of course lead to a phosphate spike

took some other photos:

shrimp stealing food from favia

pink and blue acan, has blue streaks under the right light, my lights are a little too intense for this little guy

sunburst zoa, these guys were a mystery frag a got from an online order, slow slow grower

blasto that fell into a rock crevice and lodged itself there

pink polyp cap, sorry about the focus on this one

joe the coral, ORA purple and green and strawberry shortcake from reefwise on the right, hasnt colored up yet

green with orange striped, was doing alot better, but i got some colonial hydroids that decided to grow on its plug and stung it really good before i noticed them and got them off

closeup of shortcake

cali tort, unsure if the tips are growth or tissue loss, of course shrimp had to be in the picture, she is an attention whore

closeup or ora green and purple, not as vibrant as the GARF bonsai but i have high hopes

closeup of joe