my battle with bryopsis

lunacris

yet another battle in my tank this time its bryopsis! all because i didnt take the time to remove it when it was on a couple new frags. Anyways the damage is done and it ran wild in my tank growing thick and fast . it didnt take off till i beat the hair algae and then POW !!out of frustration i started pulling at it to remove it which is a bad idea unless you siphon out as you prune it because it just helps it spread . my tank is fishless right now so a additionwas not a option. i decided to go with kent mag tech m and bring levels up to about 1600 and document as i go . my shipment of 3 gallons arrived today so i tested water and mag is currently at 1320 ish. i added 300 ml of tech m which should raise my mag levels about 20ppm each day until target is met . (bottle says 1 ml per gallon raises mag 18.3ppm per day) so today before dosing i snapped a few quick pictures to see progress as we go . please feel free to chime in if u had battled this beast as any input will help people in the future . i just ask we keep on topic please .

ColaAddict

I thought I had something like it before in the past, but yellow tang ate it all when I introduced it. no other tang would eat it but the yellow tang. I'm not 100% sure if it was bryopsis.
Kent Tech M will work if it's bryopsis. It softens it up and your clean up crew can start eating it.

Smitty

Premium member
That's sucks bro!....I once was fighting it with Kent M magnesium, but my mag got too high and killed off every invert in my tank, causing a major spike, which killed off some of my sps corals, so keep an eye on those levels. I still have a lil bryopsis in my system, but it's manageable. Good luck with that fight.

yup, i had this and done did the same thing...tech m worked for me...good luck

ps - you can definitely overdose on this stuff...one night i was drunk and forgot i already dosed hours prior and dosed twice...RTN'd 3 or 4 acros

Monty06

Tech M did an awesome job for me, and didn't lose any corals, but had a shrimp die on me. After most of it died off I got 2 fat turbo snails for my 30 gal and they cleaned the rest up in no time.

Good Luck!

Tank2379

White Cheek or Powder Brown Tang would have consume most of it, if not all of it. But this has just been my experience- I had another out break a couple years back and I lost that battle even raising my Mag with Tech-M , ended up bleaching and acid dipping the rock and recycling it.. Good Luck man that stuff is terrible to have. Also do not buy Seahares they don't touch that stuff.

lunacris

thanks for all the input and second /third options ! in the examples where u guys lost inverts /corals do you happen to know what was the range they started to die off at ? and or was it raising too fast , if so do u know how much u raised to cause issue ? any info would be helpful for the future battles .

madjoe

Premium member
I used tech and worked great didnt test but i hooked up to a doser and dosed through out the day in small amounts took few months stuff went away after about 6 months i noticed my blue corals getting dull heard its a sign of too much mag . So took mag off line and colors came back. Unfurtunitly cant tell u what that mgic number was cause i get fustrated with mag test kits lol. I didnt lose any inverts ive noticed if anything is done slow enough things aclimate easly to it and u have less issues with die off . Pwderblue tang use to eat it right up with out doseing but i did here tech breaks it dowb so thing will eat it . I know u fishless now so that is not a option for u right now good luck buddy

Monty06

Yea sorry I don't know exact levels, like MJ said, I may have raised it to quickly as I am very impatient and just started dumping the stuff in about two shot glasses at a time lol!

Smitty

Premium member
I think my mag had gotten up to around 2100ppm...i had gotten too complacent after dosing for so long.

lunacris

update :after just a couple days i noticed growth had stopped and what was a dark green colored algae started to turn brown similar to hair algae dying off. also it became soft and much easier to pull off in clumps and started to fall apart with the flow . there is still some in the tank but a big difference from what was before . here are a few pics

ultimatemj

Can you recap how much, how often you dosed the Mag.

And any other changes you've made (water change frequency, feeding, lighting, etc).

Thanks!

lunacris

sure thing , my fish had ich so were moved out to qt leaving only cuc, feeding in dt hasnt existed since the 12th @ 815 pm . i dose 300 ml every night to raise levels in my tank roughly 20ppm daily . wc are done every week on sunday morning 20 gallons. only other changes have been new heaters and added a ph . nothing major

ultimatemj

Have you measured the mag? Curious if the water changes kept the levels lower than you expected from 17 days of adding 20ppm (340 total theoretical increase).

I ask to try and get a sense of what level you began to see a change...

lunacris

to be honest i have not tested after first few days, so i cant say what difference wc made. but in first few days i was still below 1400 and it had stopped growing followed by changing colors and becoming softer. i will test tomr and get level and repost .