My brain is going to explode! (220 LED Lighting)

Vapour1ze

So, after a year with 3x Mars Aqua eBay crap fixtures over my 220, I want to upgrade. I have a ATI x8 Dimmable over my 93 cube and love it! However, there is no dimmable 72" version.. or 60" for that matter. I'm sick of bulb changing anyway. Long story short, MarsAqua just isn't for me. The fall off is insane, once out of the fixture, PAR is 0. My gig anemone suffered big time over the past few months and I need way more light.

I've spent the past week researching Kessil A360WE ( which doesn't look like that intense of a light )

I've played with ideas of going T5 again over this with a 60" non dimmable fixture.

I've had Radion's in the past... Was ok, but not great...

At this point, I need to figure out what LEDs I need for moderate coverage of 72x24x30H...

I just started peeking into Hydra HD 52s as well...

I'm honestly at this time, lost. I don't know which road to take. Everything's expensive and I don't want to have to buy and return everything... I wanted to slowly purchase everything. I can't afford a all at once 2k-3k upgrade.

If anyone can chime in, I would appreciate it...

tinman

Hasn't even crossed my mind. I'd be afraid... Have you done it? Pictures? Any good write ups?
i havent :) mine is a smll tank and im pretty content with radions ..

but i have seen some that did it for tanks your size .. for example [MENTION=609]thinkfuture[/MENTION]

another option is to consider is occean revive T247 lights you need 3 or 4 but at around $150 or so each doesnt get any better .. and they grow acros well .. like [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] did

many would oppose but i personally would do 3 OR T247s and 2 kessil A160Wes in between those 3 ORs and use kessils at night :) cant beat the shimmer and glow from a kessil ..

ultimatemj

Hybrid T5 & LED is a good option~

Pros: Plenty of PAR, no LED shadows, great LED blues & shimmer, low to moderate heat, low to moderate energy costs, and can reduce equipment cost of T5s by using non-dimmer and running them only mid-day.
Cons: Wiring, control, and some hood complexity.

View attachment 15780

Qty of LED fixtures depends on height for dispersion and total PAR needed. Same goes for T5s...I only use 2, but depending on the width of your tank you could do 2 pair and have them on different timers. Doesn't solve your every 6mo bulb maintenance, but it dramatically reduces the qty you'd be replacing.

I like AI hydras, but (if it matters to you) beware the new HDs are no longer controllable via Apex. I really like having all controls via 1 interface so I'm using "older models".

tinman

Hybrid T5 & LED is a good option~

Pros: Plenty of PAR, no LED shadows, great LED blues & shimmer, low to moderate heat, low to moderate energy costs, and can reduce equipment cost of T5s by using non-dimmer and running them only mid-day.
Cons: Wiring, control, and some hood complexity.

View attachment 15780

Qty of LED fixtures depends on height for dispersion and total PAR needed. Same goes for T5s...I only use 2, but depending on the width of your tank you could do 2 pair and have them on different timers. Doesn't solve your every 6mo bulb maintenance, but it dramatically reduces the qty you'd be replacing.

I like AI hydras, but (if it matters to you) beware the new HDs are no longer controllable via Apex. I really like having all controls via 1 interface so I'm using "older models".
[MENTION=2300]ultimatemj[/MENTION] .. this is your setup ?

Vapour1ze

Thanks guys. I don't want a canopy so I think DIY and the T5 combo is going to be out... I am debating ordering one A360WE Kessil, or ONE Hydra 52 HD and seeing what I think... I like the programability options. It is easy. I have an Apex so I can know I could do the same with Kessil, just more time consuming.... Hydra seems to be somewhat ok though... Need to find some par values though.

ultimatemj

It is, but I made 1 change since then...replaced 1 of the Hydras with 2 Hydra 26s....purely for dispersion. The LEDs are only running 50% at mid-day max. Then again, they are only 5" from the water surface LOL
View attachment 15781

ultimatemj

If you want to use your APEX, make sure you get the non-HD version of the Hydra...super easy to work with once you get them paired with the module. Plus due to the length of your tank you are likely to need a qty of them and the older ones are cheaper :)

Thanks guys. I don't want a canopy so I think DIY and the T5 combo is going to be out... I am debating ordering one A360WE Kessil, or ONE Hydra 52 HD and seeing what I think... I like the programability options. It is easy. I have an Apex so I can know I could do the same with Kessil, just more time consuming.... Hydra seems to be somewhat ok though... Need to find some par values though.

Vapour1ze

If you want to use your APEX, make sure you get the non-HD version of the Hydra...super easy to work with once you get them paired with the module. Plus due to the length of your tank you are likely to need a qty of them and the older ones are cheaper :)
I'm thinking when I'm finally done spending all the $ I'll need around 5-6 fixtures... Now I'm just trying to figure out if I want to try Hydras or go BACK to Radion...

tinman

I'm thinking when I'm finally done spending all the $ I'll need around 5-6 fixtures... Now I'm just trying to figure out if I want to try Hydras or go BACK to Radion...
3 radions and you are done :)

there are plenty on the reef2reef market now ..

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I really like my ocean revives for the money. You can get four of them and hang them long way front to back. Over a 220, you'll have great coverage front to back and end to end. They don't do sunrise sunset, but they do have two channels you can stagger and set the intensity separately.

Vapour1ze

I really like my ocean revives for the money. You can get four of them and hang them long way front to back. Over a 220, you'll have great coverage front to back and end to end. They don't do sunrise sunset, but they do have two channels you can stagger and set the intensity separately.

This does look nice... Have you ever checked PAR readings? I'm just curious... I really want to do a dusk/dawn effect. To me I love that. But, maybe not. I could just run two channels liek I do now and be fine.... Cheap enough... Full Spectrum?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
This does look nice... Have you ever checked PAR readings? I'm just curious... I really want to do a dusk/dawn effect. To me I love that. But, maybe not. I could just run two channels liek I do now and be fine.... Cheap enough... Full Spectrum?
BOOM!

Sawdonkey

Premium member
saw donkey are those par readings with the fixtures running at 100%
I don't recall exactly, but I believe it was 60% white and 90% blue. I did change out quite a few of the diodes, so that isn't the stock layout. For example, I swapped four buses and whites from each channel because I don't like the all blue look when the blue channel is on by itself.

adubson

I'm almost done with my Lumia 5.2/T5 hybrid build, and I'm throwing in a vote for considering a diy build with these multichips. It may take a little more creativity to get something that appeals aesthetically to your taste but they'll be cheaper than name brand LEDs with some great performance and color. Jedimasterben (or whatever his username is) has done some extensive PAR testing on them that you can find via Ledgroupbuy.com.

I'm only missing my arduino controller to dim the channels, but when I tested them at 100% over my tank...wow. Even with four T5s on, the shimmer was like nothing I've seen (granted, in my 18 months in the hobby). But yeah, just a thought to consider the diy approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk