My DIY Macro Algae Reactor

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..

So I made this for my 90G using a Phosban 550 and some LED strips. Prior to running this, my phosphates would jump from 0 to 0.05 in a 24 hour period due to the high levels of phosphate that absorbed in my rock when it was FO. Also, my nitrates hovered between 5 and 10ppm.

I wish I would have done this sooner!!! I was dosing lanthum chloride daily to keep the phosphates in check. Within 48 hours my phosphates stayed at 0.01 and haven't budged since...no GFO...no LC. Plus my nitrates are now under 1ppm.

I've had chaeto before but this setup grows it so fast it is almost unbelievable. No need for a massive fuge and no need to dose anything...my acro's are looking better than ever and the growth I've seen in the last 3 weeks is greater than the last 2 months and the PE is insane. I have a feeling the LC was hindering things because I was dosing so much of it. Things didn't look bad and the colors were good but growth was slower than it should have been.

Anyway, I would highly recommend giving this a shot if you want to manage your nutrients naturally and see if you can save some dough on GFO...

EricTheRed

Anyone know why the pics are uploading sideways when I attach them...?

Last edited:

GugsJr

TeamCR

Anyone know why the pics are uploading sideways when I attach them...?
I have that issue every now and then too.

I know you have a SPS dominated tank, be careful dropping your phosphates and nitrates too far. my PO4 is at .018 (Triton verified) and my NO3 is at 1ppm and I'm trying to get them to 5ppm.

EricTheRed

I have that issue every now and then too.

I know you have a SPS dominated tank, be careful dropping your phosphates and nitrates too far. my PO4 is at .018 (Triton verified) and my NO3 is at 1ppm and I'm trying to get them to 5ppm.
Oh yeah, I'm very aware of the challenges running an ulns. My last sps tank was ulns as a result of biopellets. The tank was fine but constantly worrying about keeping the alk below 8 and then occasionally getting burnt tips was a pita. That's the reason why I want this tank to be as natural and simple as possible. This macro reactor has made all the difference. When you saw my tank it was starting to come back from an episode of burnt tips with a few acros that were even discolored. I couldn't say for 100% certainty but I think the inconsistencies that came and went were related to all the lanthum chloride dosing I was doing. It was the only variable that was unnatural in an otherwise stable tank.

skunkmere

Im starting to care more for my tank and was going to go back to biopellets. I was thinking about how nice it was before the pellets and how its doing pretty good now with nothing. im doing kalk in my top off now and order some alk kits to get back on track.

madjoe

Premium member
Im starting to care more for my tank and was going to go back to biopellets. I was thinking about how nice it was before the pellets and how its doing pretty good now with nothing. im doing kalk in my top off now and order some alk kits to get back on track.
Its about time

EricTheRed

I love pellets on a FO tank but will never run them again on a reef, especially w/ sps. I also went back to kalk in my ato...easiest and simplest way to maintain stability, plus it's cheap and easy.

Cubano32

Premium member
I love pellets on a FO tank but will never run them again on a reef, especially w/ sps. I also went back to kalk in my ato...easiest and simplest way to maintain stability, plus it's cheap and easy.
I want to do kalk in my ATO but I evap about 1.5g a day and I feel like that's alot of kalk going into tank everyday

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
What would you rec for a 5g bucket

Just start out low like a third of what they recommend. You gotta remember it really depends on whats in your tank also. Less corals less mix more corals gonna eat up more . I haven’t used it in yrs so i dont know exact amounts i had to stop using and start dosing eventually tank uses more then u can dose .

Cubano32

Premium member
Just start out low like a third of what they recommend. You gotta remember it really depends on whats in your tank also. Less corals less mix more corals gonna eat up more . I haven’t used it in yrs so i dont know exact amounts i had to stop using and start dosing eventually tank uses more then u can dose .
That kinda way I haven't started kalk yet cause I may just order brs 2 part and just do that

madjoe

Premium member
That kinda way I haven't started kalk yet cause I may just order brs 2 part and just do that

Its definitely easier to keep stabile with dosing. I dont know if i got lucky back when i was dosing kalk but seemed like it was relatively safe i didn’t measure much and didn’t test much tank ran great even had a accident once where it dumped 10 gallons of kalk into the system at once . Salinity was of course off and tank was cloudy but lost zero corals and only one fish which was a new guy. I know bunch people who dose kalk in ato and as you know theres no real way of control with ato the evaporation will fluctuate but there tanks are all doing great . Maybe that will ease your mind or do the two part definitely have more control specially with a controller and a doser

Cubano32

Premium member
Its definitely easier to keep stabile with dosing. I dont know if i got lucky back when i was dosing kalk but seemed like it was relatively safe i didn’t measure much and didn’t test much tank ran great even had a accident once where it dumped 10 gallons of kalk into the system at once . Salinity was of course off and tank was cloudy but lost zero corals and only one fish which was a new guy. I know bunch people who dose kalk in ato and as you know theres no real way of control with ato the evaporation will fluctuate but there tanks are all doing great . Maybe that will ease your mind or do the two part definitely have more control specially with a controller and a doser
Yea I deff want to do the 2 part I just have to figure out on what doser to get cause I don't want to break the bank on something super expensive

madjoe

Premium member
Yea I deff want to do the 2 part I just have to figure out on what doser to get cause I don't want to break the bank on something super expensive

If u have a apex or reef keeper get some brs dosers they are super reliable mine are probably 10 yrs old still accurate. The other ones that control them selves fail a ive seen them dump all the alk in because it failed.

Cubano32

Premium member
If u have a apex or reef keeper get some brs dosers they are super reliable mine are probably 10 yrs old still accurate. The other ones that control them selves fail a ive seen them dump all the alk in because it failed.
Don't have either...I feel like no need for one with my setup..just a 34g deep blue