my first nem

3dees

finally got the courage to add a nem. I always worried about poisoning my tank. I got this for dirt cheap so I thought I'd take a chance. I assume it's a Haddoni. first pic is a few hours after I added it to my 120 gal. softie/lps reef. second pic is after three days. I wanted to know if it looks ok and when do I start feeding? just wanted a nem for my Maroon clown to play in. so far the clown shows no interest but I know it can take a while and maybe never. View attachment 12755View attachment 12756

CoralN00b

Awesome Nem. I was scared with my first nem too but I was given a confidence boost by members here and I went with it. I actually learned alot about nems. I did research and all beforehand but once I added it to my tank, my nem did the exact opposite of others. It behaved much differently and it just found a sweetspot after a while and took off. It never split but it grew from about an inch or so to around a 7 inch diameter at its peak. I was fascinated by it.

I have had a bubble tip as well but lost both with a crash once while on vacation. Now that my tank has been stable for a year and a half - 2 years, I added two bubble tips and they settled in nicely so far. Keep us updated.

CoralN00b

Also, was your clown tank raised? Did you get it from another reefer that said it hosted previously? If so, she will find the nem eventually.

I have two clowns one regular tank raised oscillaris and one Jigsaw clown from ORA. The jigsaw hosted nems and I am it's second parent. It actually taught my osci to host just recently. I added a great frogspawn piece and they both hosted it right away so I was like yea I need a nem again.

3dees

I should have read more. seems that Haddoni's don't usually host maroons. still trying to get an answer on when to start feeding. it did grab some Mysis that I was feeding to the fish, but not much. I was planning on feeding it some chopped raw shrimp.

superfish

I should have read more. seems that Haddoni's don't usually host maroons. still trying to get an answer on when to start feeding. it did grab some Mysis that I was feeding to the fish, but not much. I was planning on feeding it some chopped raw shrimp.
I thought it's easier for maroon to host than other clown species. If they like their new home, they usually just host right away.

carpetreef75

Premium member
Krill & smelt also

FraginReeferHead

I feed all of mine a pretty good size chunk of shrimp about once a week, as far as when to start feeding thats entirely up to you.

3dees

I feed all of mine a pretty good size chunk of shrimp about once a week, as far as when to start feeding thats entirely up to you.
ok, thanks. I have read that you should wait a couple of weeks before feeding so it can acclimate to the tank. but hey, it's the internet and I know I can get a hundred different answers.

cet98

ok, thanks. I have read that you should wait a couple of weeks before feeding so it can acclimate to the tank. but hey, it's the internet and I know I can get a hundred different answers.
that is actually what you should be doing....feeding a nem causes it to expend alot of energy to process and digest it....with a stressed out/new addition this is not always a good result....it is not necessary to ever spot feed your nem as I rarely ever do....it is best to give the nem time to acclimate itself to your system (water parameters and lighting) and find it's "happy place"....once it's happy, there'll be plenty of fun feeding times to enjoy ;)

all the best with your new addition :)

Raven312

that is actually what you should be doing....feeding a nem causes it to expend alot of energy to process and digest it....with a stressed out/new addition this is not always a good result....it is not necessary to ever spot feed your nem as I rarely ever do....it is best to give the nem time to acclimate itself to your system (water parameters and lighting) and find it's "happy place"....once it's happy, there'll be plenty of fun feeding times to enjoy ;)

all the best with your new addition :)
I just added one too, and this is good information. I fed mine the first night and it spit it out. I'd done a lot of reading but didn't see the part about feeding during acclimation. I was also worried when it moved off of its rock until I found out this is normal. It's in good color and it's even puffed out, it's just in a little cave behind its rock. I'm leaving it alone and letting it do its thing.

dinesdylan

Looks great. I have two and I just let them feed on their own. Once they are happy they will grab food on their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Any update on the Nem? Lets see some pics. Any problems? I am saving some room in the tank for a carpet, just worried about it moving around.

3dees

it's doing great. getting greener in color. I did feed it a small piece of shrimp and it ate it without a problem. I must have put in a spot it likes because it has not moved. no new pics yet, but I'll take some.