My first rock structure.Critique please.

BADGUS

So after 2hrs with a bandsaw,some epoxy and acrylic rods,here's what i whipped up.I don't know if it looks cool or hohumIt's my first structure with liverock in the 8ft tank.It's about 16'' tall and 20-22'' long.

Whatcha guys think? :butcher:

bennyblanco

So after 2hrs with a bandsaw,some epoxy and acrylic rods,here's what i whipped up.I don't know if it looks cool or hohumIt's my first structure with liverock in the 8ft tank.It's about 16'' tall and 20-22'' long.

Whatcha guys think? :butcher:

Pretty slick! That will look great covered in coral.

MMreef

Looks very cool. Are those acrylic rods I saw at your house strong enough to support the weight of this overhang piece? Is this structure pretty solid? What epoxy are you using Gus?

BADGUS

Bring it over eddie,mark- the epoxy is the waterweld with some loctite mixed in,it hardened extremely well with a few practice pieces i did,the rods are a mixture of 3/8'' and 1/4'' and yes it's extremely sturdy.

Georrge-i will add some super simple corals,xenia-gsp-maybe a few leathers.

lunacris

thats a pretty sweet idea looking foward to see if it holds up long term not doubting the project or your build because its obviously sweet but before i try this its gonna be helpful to learn from others. did you drill for the rods or just form and place rocks on top

BADGUS

I drilled the rocks slightly smaller than the rods,then used a rubber mallet to push rods in place,then epoxy on all joints and voila.Working on a 2nd structure as I type this.

soggy pocktets

Hey Gus, interested to learn about your tank...I just had a very similar size tank delivered yesterday 8x3x30, approx. 420 gals. It's going to be a fish only and will be using Kaldness media filter as primary (along with big as* skimmer, UV and ozone).

Really like what you did with the rock work...inspiring me to give it a go. Good luck and looking forward to more pics. Thx.

BADGUS

Thanks and congrats on the tank,I like the reef inserts,but I also wanna do cool rock structures.