My new build, 70 corner.

capysolo

So I've had this tank for a few years. My uncle gave it to me so I've been wanting to set it up. I just went through a crash in my 58, so I decided to take it down. Now I will concentrate on building this. It is an acrylic 70 gallon corner pentagon. Reef ready with an overflow in the back. I will be using the following, but will need some help deciding some things.

Corner tank (obviously)
Home built stand. I'm going to build it larger to hold all the equipment within, it will be next to my tv, so I want it to look decent.
Home built canopy.
Custom (20g?) sump with refugium
Aqua Euro 125 skimmer
Tunze Silence return pump
Maxspect Razor 160w 16k (whenever it gets here)
Probably 2 200-300w heaters
Apex Controller

I think I want to do a DSB, maybe 4" or so. Anybody running one in their display?

Now, I need to decide on flow. I was toying with the idea of getting 2 MP10s... Possibly one right away, and another down the road. OR go cheap and do a couple Koralias. I had one Koralia switching on/off in my 58. It ended up not coming back on and I think that's what started the crash... My Xenia was right below it and loved the flow, it started to melt after the pump died... So I'm thinking 2 pumps for a bit of redundacy. Thoughts?

I have a BRS dual reactor... haven't had much luck with it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong... Should keep it and run carbon? GFO? Both? Should I try to sell it and get something else? Should I try biopellets with a nice reactor?

I have a 3 channel doser... Should I use it for 2 part? This may have also been a contributing factor to my crash, as I had just started it a week prior. How does everyone maintain their Calcium, Mag, Alk?

Any suggestions on an ATO? I have a home built job that I bought off someone. It seems to work, but is a bit crude. I had some issues with it until I rebuilt the aqualifter, now it seems ok. Just thought there might be something better, more reliable...

Can anybody think of anything I should eliminate, or get to make this system stable and easy to maintain?

I will get pictures up as I get stuff done. Should be a fun saw dust filled weekend!

MMreef

Looks like good start. To answer some of your questions need to know what you going to keep? Fish only, mainly softies and LPS or mostly SPS?

capysolo

More than likely it will be a mixed reef. Mostly docile fish, gobies, blennies, etc. softies, zoas/palys, and lps. I'd like the option of trying some easier sps.

MMreef

Go with MP10 and a Koralia if you can't do 2x MP10 right away. Two powerheads will give you better flow.IMO one MP10 even in mixed reef is not enough.For starters with mainly softies and LPS you really don't need two part or any dosing.With regular water changes (about 5-10% every other week) you should be fine,until you really get into SPS.Also no need for biopellets.It will strip your water too clean for your type of reef. GFO an carbon is recommended ,I've had dual reactor from BRS before and used it with no problems with MJ1200 pump.For ATO Tunze Osmolator is the best,but is pricey,lot of people like JBJ ATO.I don't think you need two 300W heaters, most likely 2x100W should be enough.(I don't have heater at all in my tank,it sits in my living room).

capysolo

So here it is up and running.

The light is the Maxspect Razor 160w. Skimmer is the Aqua-Euro Classic 135. Return pump is Tunze Silence. 2 Koralia 750s for flow.

With the exception of the light, i think i want to change everything else... First will be the return, which will be the Quiet One Pro 3000. Next would be flow. I either want to get 2 Tunzes or mp10s, or add 1 mp10 to the koralias. From there a new skimmer. This one works, but i think there are better.

Suggestions are welcome for the equipment changes. I don't have unlimited funds, but i will pay for something that works really well (not just for a name).

Livestock so far: half dozen snails i saved from my crash, a green and a yellow clown goby, also saved from the crash. I picked up a pair of black occelaris clowns to replace the ones i lost. The only coral so far is a frag of blastos that survived until i found then tearing down the crashed tank... It broke into 2 pieces, so it seems to be a self fragging frag! :D

Tomorrow I should be getting back my corals that danSreef housed for me, I'm exited!