my queen angels eye

Mikej714

I have a queen angel approx 9" long, his eye looks as if he has cloudy eye however after watching him for a while he keeps scratching on the bottom sand starting with that eye. So it may be scratched :( I use coppersafe in my tank and levels appear to be good. Does anyone know of any good medication for the poor eyeball?? Someone told me there were medicated food pellets I could buy ?? Im open to all suggestions.... thanks everyone !!

Pufferpunk

Using meds as a prophylactic is totally wrong. The pathogen will become immune to it & in the meantime, you are slowly poisoning your fish & lowering their immune system.

Mikej714

I was totally against using copper at first myself, but after talking with MANY advanced hobbyist was told copper is the way to go.

ColaAddict

How long have you been using copper? I don't think it's meant to be dosed all the time. only during quariantine period, or if you actually see ich in your tank.

BADGUS

Wow this is crazy,stop the copper meds,there's bigger issues if ich is a problem and even using copper they get like this.I would treat with prazipro and maracyn for that eye.Do not dose with copper otherwise you might likely kill hem.Copper is bad for their liver long-term.

Spoofer

I agree copper is a poison, but many acclaimed advanced hobbyist due use this regularly, but they are usually fish shops that never keep fish for more than a small period of time, so they some how over look it when they recommend it and I have heard the line "that's what we do all the time"

mlreef

Wow this is crazy,stop the copper meds,there's bigger issues if ich is a problem and even using copper they get like this.I would treat with prazipro and maracyn for that eye.Do not dose with copper otherwise you might likely kill hem.Copper is bad for their liver long-term.
+1 brotha. It would be like you taking antibiotics every day just because.
Stop copper!!! Here is something to read with a nice cup of coffee ;)

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa042801_2.htm
Absolutely! I've seen it peel the tough skin off a puffer's body & blind them.
Only use it when absolutely necessary in a QT tank for a period of time.

Mikej714

Thanks for the concern Walt! Queen is 100% better, I set up a quarantine tank and had in there for a week. Eye is perfectly normal and no more scratching. I dropped copper level tremendously and an in search of a 40w uv sterilizer. All of my other fish are excellent as well :)