My solution to bubble algae

Cub21rak

So I had an outbreak of bubble algae starting. I got some emerald crabs and that didn't seem to do the trick. I had heard and read about foxfaces doing a good job of cleaning it up. I called a lfs near me called Exotic aquatics in highland and he had told me he had great experience with foxface taking care of bubble algae and currently had a one spot and a magnificent. I was planning of getting the one spot being it was cheaper but when I saw the magnificent I had to have that one. So I got him and put him in on Tuesday. And starting Wednesday I noticed him grazing and by Thursday I could really tell a difference. So glad I got this guy.

Joe5688

Good to hear, it's odd I've been hearing a lot of people getting bubble algae outbreaks lately, myself included. I was reading up on fish that ate it and I came up with rabbitsbfoxfaces, blonde nasos, and dajarndi tangs or how ever the he'll u spell it lol. I'm picking up a nap naso to try. If it doesn't eat it at least I got another cool fish lol.

I'm also going to try the reefcleaners emerald since they "guarantee" then to eat it. But I got the bubbles pretty bad lol.

gig

agreed, both my foxface (one spot) and dejarndi eat them, I've had emeralds, not so sure they did much

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Over the past ten years, I have tried emeralds, sailfins, and rabbitfish with little or no luck. The only fish that ate bubble algae 100% of the time was powder brown tangs. They unfortunately will eat any algae including the blue macro algae ORA said no tang would eat.

For some reason no one ever mentions powder browns for controlling bubble algae except Jullian Sprung. He cites them as the best eaters of bubble algae in his books.

ColaAddict

Over the past ten years, I have tried emeralds, sailfins, and rabbitfish with little or no luck. The only fish that ate bubble algae 100% of the time was powder brown tangs. They unfortunately will eat any algae including the blue macro algae ORA said no tang would eat.

For some reason no one ever mentions powder browns for controlling bubble algae except Jullian Sprung. He cites them as the best eaters of bubble algae in his books.
I think people cant keep them alive long enough to watch them eat all the algae

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Nino, powder browns are hardy and they are one of the more docile tangs! I will never have a tank without one.

madjoe

Premium member
Powder blue powder browns and purple tangs always worked for my and scribbled rabbit . Probkem is dosent rid u of issue just keeps in check if u get rid of the fish problem comes right back

steveo9043

ive read about bubble algae too and was going to get a foxface for my tank but since I'm taking it down i decided to wait. What steps should be taken to prevent the New tank not getting bubble algae? I'm starting with all dry sand and the rock has been in an acid bath (thanks to lunacris) so it should be considered dry rock now.

gig

I've seen my dejardini eat it, preferably the tender younger bubbles, once the stuff matures, it gets very hard and likely not edible for most fish. I would think a powder brown is hardier than a powder blue. I'm surprised a blue wouldn't eat it as well...

Tank2379

Over feeding... Or just high nutrients. I know once I got my Blue Throat Trigger I started feeding even more and Bubble Algea was blowing up everywhere... I'm not a popper either... lol. Plus my Giant Emerald crab died so whatever Bubble Algea I had he took care of for me...

Cub21rak

Well I had to take this guy back today :( he was doing a great job on the algae and it looks way better in there. But he was also bugging the heck out my zoas. This fish is listed as with caution when it comes to reef safe and sometimes fish are hit and miss. But ever since he went in most my zoas were closing up. Idk if he was nipping at them or just picking around the zoa but my zoas don't look good at all. If/when the bubble algae comes back ill have to find another solution.

MikeyB

Well I had to take this guy back today :( he was doing a great job on the algae and it looks way better in there. But he was also bugging the heck out my zoas. This fish is listed as with caution when it comes to reef safe and sometimes fish are hit and miss. But ever since he went in most my zoas were closing up. Idk if he was nipping at them or just picking around the zoa but my zoas don't look good at all. If/when the bubble algae comes back ill have to find another solution.
That sucks :( They are beautiful fish, i guess i got lucky with my magnificent, he was my 2nd fish i got and he hasnt ever touched a zoa or any coral at that.