Nano Reef 20 gallons

Mjl714

Have owned various aquariums most of my life, but fairly new to reef keeping. Wife was suggesting we setup a smaller reef tank in kitchen, no less in front of a window. Sounded like a challenge, and I wasn't going to let the suggestion get cold, so we were off and running.

Started tank January 2014, with 20 gallon high, to fit our location perfectly. Aquired Ro system, and later added di, which polished the the water nicely, down to zero tds.

Tank build:

AquaC Nano Remora Protein Skimmer,
CPR Refugium, with Miracle mud, rubble rock and chaeto
Maxspect Razor 20", 16000k,
Vortech Mp10, eventually after using a multitude of lesser quality circulation pumps
BRS gfo/carbon reactor,
Apex jr

Current maintenance is changing about 10g per week.

Over time, we removed the protein skimmer. Didn't do much with water change routine, and light feeding. Over flow box was way to much maintenance, keeping the water at just the right level. Brs reactor seems to be the right idea, as far as reducing the light algae growth we saw.

Here's a current picture, gotta get a better camera:

View attachment 14416

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
You're addicted. Knew a kitchen window takn would be difficult and but want to wait around for your wife to change her mind... Welcome to the reefing club.

Mjl714

Refugium, removed miracle mud and rubble rock. Not sure if this stuff helped, but definitely made cleaning more challenging. The below started with 5 poly's.

View attachment 14562

Last edited:

Mjl714

Live stock:

2 Clownfish
2 Peppermint Shrimps
1 Toadstool
Poly's, various
Acan's, various
Birdnest
Hawkeye Cyphastria
Montipora Sunset
Montipora Mystic Sunset
Kenya Tree
Euphyllia
Ricordia, various
Mushrooms, various

Rallos

Looks good! You might want to invest in an ATO which will keep the water level steady. The new AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro would be perfect for your nano tank. (Amazon Link) I got one for my IM 20 and just picked up another for my office pico 5.5g tank.

Mjl714

Looks good! You might want to invest in an ATO which will keep the water level steady. The new AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro would be perfect for your nano tank. (Amazon Link) I got one for my IM 20 and just picked up another for my office pico 5.5g tank.
"Office tank" thats great, although, I don't really care to be at work anymore than am currently there.

ReeferRick

I wish the pics could be resized to see the details, im sure its awsome.

As for livestock, have you ever owned blue gudgeons?
Eel like ,and very pretty.

A yellow choris would also be sweet

Mjl714

I wish the pics could be resized to see the details, im sure its awsome.

As for livestock, have you ever owned blue gudgeons?
Eel like ,and very pretty.

A yellow choris would also be sweet
I like the yellow wrasse. Sorry for poor pics, have not mastered this process. No to the blue gudgeons, I'll look them up.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Nice to see another mature tank. thanks for sharing!

can you show us before after of the starburst how much has it grown?

Mjl714

The Reeftech Starburst, I've had it almost a year. Got it from Gunner. I'll see if I have some older pictures. It's doing great now.

Last edited: