Nano reef guys ?

madjoe

Premium member
Im running a 29 bio cube and added a skimmer prob is keeping water level for skimmer to work . I have added a ato but the prob is if the filter for the tank gets clogged witch it does every day its impossible to keep level up so do u guys not run that filter and just run the skimmer whats the trick to these pia tanks lol

Neebles

I don't run a bio cube so I can't help there, but I do run an 18g cadlights tank... In that particular tank I removed the sponge filter and built a media rack and run filter floss instead. The skimmer is in the next chamber over.

Milhouse

Premium member
I was running filterfloss in my media basket. I switched to sponge. Like the bubble stop sponge. I wash it out every week or 2. I have a few that i rotate through.

All i have is zoas in the tak so water clenliness dosent have to be perfect for me. The floss clogged up too fast for me thats why i switched.

Jep21

if its floss i would just take it out and run a carbon reactor... In my 28g jbj only run a skimmer and a IM reactor with carbon

charris24

I personally have a 28g JBJ as well. I have an intank media tray in the center with filter floss I rinse midweek and change out on the weekend and then purigen and chemipure in the other two compartments. I previously ran an IM skimmer in the center chamber but couldn't get the water level in the back where I wanted it, so I switched out. I will most likely be adding an HOB skimmer, but do a 20% water change weekly. I have seen great coral growth and no fish issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
I personally have a 28g JBJ as well. I have an intank media tray in the center with filter floss I rinse midweek and change out on the weekend and then purigen and chemipure in the other two compartments. I previously ran an IM skimmer in the center chamber but couldn't get the water level in the back where I wanted it, so I switched out. I will most likely be adding an HOB skimmer, but do a 20% water change weekly. I have seen great coral growth and no fish issues.

Yea skimmer is in middle chamber no media basket its a sea horse tank no real corals just gorganians that live in any crappy water tanks running good but be better if i can tune in skimmer

charris24

I used the stock JbJ media tray, essentially gutted it so my skimmer could fit in the trays frame. That way I could adjust how high or low the skimmer was positioned in the water. Different skimmers but it worked for me.

madjoe

Premium member
I used the stock JbJ media tray, essentially gutted it so my skimmer could fit in the trays frame. That way I could adjust how high or low the skimmer was positioned in the water. Different skimmers but it worked for me.

I can move skimmer up and down daym magnets r crazy strong im gonna remve the filter and see if i can tune it in

enzo1028

Premium member
I cut the rim of my right column and placed a skimmer in there. It works great, but it does effect the flow of debris in my tank. I also only use a media bag with some phos pro in the center column, along with a make shift refugium. All my params have been great in the tank so far. Also my ATO is in the center collumn. Heater and return pump are in the left column.

madjoe

Premium member
I cut the rim of my right column and placed a skimmer in there. It works great, but it does effect the flow of debris in my tank. I also only use a media bag with some phos pro in the center column, along with a make shift refugium. All my params have been great in the tank so far. Also my ATO is in the center collumn. Heater and return pump are in the left column.

Yea i run the hood on mine i took out filter and water level definitly staying more stabile so now to tune in skimmer

Jep21

Is there any possible way u can place the skimmer in the first chamber

Jeffreyr

I have a pico mini. I run a skimmer in the first chamber, media in the second and return pump in the third. I am also able to add a Tunze nano osmolator to the third chamber that keeps the water level in the tank perfect.

madjoe

Premium member
Is there any possible way u can place the skimmer in the first chamber

First chamber where the water comes in thats tiny lol i took out that bs filter for bio cubes that clog in a day seems to be working good now i hope lol

madjoe

Premium member
I have a pico mini. I run a skimmer in the first chamber, media in the second and return pump in the third. I am also able to add a Tunze nano osmolator to the third chamber that keeps the water level in the tank perfect.
I am running a ato in third along with pump the issue was those daym filters cartridge they make for biocubes last a day then clog witch lowers water level in the second and third chamber and raises it in 1 and tank . I ended up removing the filter completely will just rely on the skimmer for now and c how that goes i really dont want to add reactors or anything else unless i truly have to even then i kinda been eh about reefing lately si we shall see

madjoe

Premium member
Btw guys thanks for all the info hats off to u pico reefers they just a pia and takes some skill to keep one nice my 75 gallon is si much easier just feed fish and done lol