Need a new idea. Anemone removal.

I have 2 RBTs attached to a rock that's covered with coral. They are on complete opposite sides of the rock. Need to get one off...selling him.
Tried air tube with aggressive air, tried ice, tried powerhead for 24 hrs, tried hanging the rock, but can't do that long enough, because I'm worried about one being "trapped" in his hole on the opposite side.
Don't want to crack the rock and chance killing either.
Anyone have any other ideas???? These guys are stubborn as can be!!
Thanks!!!

((FORDTECH))

Premium member
I’m not sure this is recommended and I would say not to do it and if you do only do it at your own risk. Well actually the anemones risk. But I have done this many times and it always worked for me but will harm anemone very little and if I’m good water conditions will heal very fast. I use aptasiaX in the syringe it comes with. Very carefully and using very little I squirt it on the very edge of foot right where it attach to rock. I leave for little bit and blow off with baster and see how far that got me. At that point I continue to do this multiple times squirting it under foot between rock and anemone best as possible. Give it some time blow it away. If you carefully do this anemone will let go because the aptasiaX is burning him a little. Disclaimer I have not permanently harmed any anemone that I have ever done this to and I fully understand what I’m doing and I do not recommend anyone to do this without major caution.

I cannot see either foot. They both have planted the foot deep in a circular hole in my rock.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I had read about that....any personal experience? The rock isn't huge. Could be covered with a bucket. How long do you think it would take them to move if they were covered?

oceanfreak09

I had read about that....any personal experience? The rock isn't huge. Could be covered with a bucket. How long do you think it would take them to move if they were covered?
I’ve turned rocks in the past and had them move. Usually if you can get to their foot you can rub it with your finger and gently work them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oceanfreak09

Also it does take longer to make them move by taking away light. I would say a few days to a week or so.

Had this thought. What if I threw the rock in my sump. It's 3 stage with fair flow. Don't think they could make it you my return pump and I could cover that with mesh for a few days. I could cover the sump with a blanket and make it super dark. Maybe add a light to one side to draw them out a bit.

see any holes In this idea?

oceanfreak09

Had this thought. What if I threw the rock in my sump. It's 3 stage with fair flow. Don't think they could make it you my return pump and I could cover that with mesh for a few days. I could cover the sump with a blanket and make it super dark. Maybe add a light to one side to draw them out a bit.

see any holes In this idea?
It wouldn’t hurt much, the nem should seek out sunlight for its survival. I like the idea of having light at one side to coax them out.

Smitty

Premium member
I've read many years ago that you could use a butter knife to pry them off. The anemone doesn't like the feel of "cold metal" on them and will release from the rock to get away from it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk