Need an opinion on my upgrade (Wait or go go go?) And tank moving tips.

Would you:

• slow go: Fill the tank and get sand and rock cycling so it can be easily moved with buckets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No go: Just wait and keep the 45 dry until after the move (whenever that miht be)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Herbie

Banned
As of 10/20 (after the swap) my 45 cube will be ready to go for the upgrade from my 28. The tanks are literally right next to each other. I have new sand ready to get cycling and all the rock I need cured in my grow-out mineral fuge and the 28 itself. Right now the 45 is dry (leak test passed). This could be the easiest upgrade/move ever, but here is the quandry: My wife and I have an offer in on a short sale house that is about 15 miles south of us. It could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months before we know for sure that we are moving and the closing could even be after that. I REALLY want to get this tank filled and get rid of the 28 but I have no concept on how you move a tank across town other than buckets and prayers. I can only imagine it would be easier to move stuff if you have a tank set up and waiting at the new location (though I will still have my grow-out system for a possible puddle jump approach). If you were me would you go ahead and satisfy the urge to upgrade and get started, or take the patient approach and stare at the empty tank for what coud be forever? Please hit me up with your thoughts and suggestions. I appreicate the consensus.

Wildisme

I'd go for it. Short sales can take a long time sometimes. And honestly. It's not a huge tank so it shouldn't be too bad to do it twice. I moved a 90 from an hr away, took it home and set it all up in a 150 in 1 night.

I'm sure knocking out the 45 in a day wouldn't be too bad. Just take ur time

Jep21

You should go ahead and set it up bro.. When u move everything from your 28 to the 45 gallon its one less tank u have to move to your new place and u can sell the 28 asap once u move everything over.. Plus regarding your move u have a bunch of local ppl here that can help u move or maybe hold ur fish while u settle ur tank in your new place.. So for me go for it bro..

tinman

i would transfer everything as if you are not moving .. (mean slowly) and get rid of the biocube (if you are not planning on having it at the new location ..sell it ) and when you actualy move move everything over .. fish in bags and rock and corals in buckets .. thats how id do .. but i might be a noob still

DrewF

I'm a fan of not bothering unless there is a need(fish to large, etc..). Newer tanks are always a lot to keep up with until they balance out after the first cycle or two. Moving and buying a house is stressful enough, why add more to it.

Herbie

Banned
Let me throw out there that when I do buy the new house I am keeping the current one to rent so I can take all the time I need to move in case that changes things. We're also completely gutting several rooms in the new place.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wildisme

Do it!

Moving doesn't make a difference. Ur gonna move the tank then either way. It's just if u want to move the tank twice. And like I said a SS can take a long time sometimes. Why not enjoy the larger tank now then have it sit for months.

jayjigga

I'd go for it. Short sales can take a long time sometimes. And honestly. It's not a huge tank so it shouldn't be too bad to do it twice. I moved a 90 from an hr away, took it home and set it all up in a 150 in 1 night.

I'm sure knocking out the 45 in a day wouldn't be too bad. Just take ur time
I'll agree with this with the stipulation you have another tank to move it into. If you're setting up the 45, then moving it to set up the 45 again in the new place, it's a different battle. I had the same debate, and "bought" a 75G setup as the temporary home while I decide where I'm going to move to. I actually eventually sold the 90G because when I do move, I'll just try to find something a bit bigger and try to cycle it at the new place while I move. There's no way I'd wanna move a 75G without another tank waiting for the contents.

Wildisme

U can always pre cycle a small bare bottom tank for a few days while u re cycle the original tank.

The 150 wasn't up and running when I did the transfer, I used the sump setup and lights off the 90 and had to set it all up that night. But I have the fish and coral held up in a 46 Bowfront during the move.

madjoe

Premium member
i moved my 90 gal and 75 gal both in one day put everything in coolers and buckets with powerheads brought tanks to my brothers house put all water back in and rocks and got skimmer going thru some prime in chucked the fish in waited about 2 hrs chucked the corals in no casualities. then month later had to do it all again when r new place was finally ready to move into . a 45 gallon would be a piece of cake. i had to go buy enought water jugs to carry most my water think i ended up buying 15 5 gallon jugs. i say go for it piece of cake

Herbie

Banned
i moved my 90 gal and 75 gal both in one day put everything in coolers and buckets with powerheads brought tanks to my brothers house put all water back in and rocks and got skimmer going thru some prime in chucked the fish in waited about 2 hrs chucked the corals in no casualities. then month later had to do it all again when r new place was finally ready to move into . a 45 gallon would be a piece of cake. i had to go buy enought water jugs to carry most my water think i ended up buying 15 5 gallon jugs. i say go for it piece of cake
Thanks Joe. I'm leaning more toward going for it as this short sale process gets more frustrating. I'll probably do the move when I get home from the CMAS swap

Joe5688

short sales take for ever. I went though it at my house. U give them what they want, then they dont talk to u for a week. Then they need something else, and then dont talk to u for a week before they tell u they ned sometihng else again. It's annoying

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Sorry if you have this info already: the average short sale takes 8 months. A law was passed to make the process somewhat better but it's not really enforced. That law said that they seller/bank has to get back to you within a month. If they do not have an answer in a month, they just have to update you weekly. (Anyone, please correct me if I've stated something incorrectly.)

Herbie

Banned
Less than 10% of short sales actually close too. I knew what I was getting into but now we're in a bidding war with 2 other potential buyers. An added variable that we did not need or anticipate.

Funlad3

Let me throw out there that when I do buy the new house I am keeping the current one to rent so I can take all the time I need to move in case that changes things. We're also completely gutting several rooms in the new place.

In that case, set it up. If you had to move the tank within a few days, it would be easier with a smaller tank. All the same, it sounds like you'll be in no rush to switch the tanks, so set it up! :D

AndyP27

I've had to move my tank 4 times in 2 years...I'm in McHenry and would offer to give you a hand. I've got a dozen or so buckets with lids you could borrow. PM me for a phone number if your interested.