Need help with diagnosis and treatment

fit

I just got 6 clowns and one of them, I just noticed, has an infection. I got three juvenile black and white ocellaris and three Clarkii. All are eating well, just spots all over one of the Ocellaris.

I did not quarantine. Big mistake I believe it will prove to be. The fish were in the main tank for about 8 hours today. I just got the three Ocellaris out. Cannot for the moment get the Clarkii (or my other 5 small fish). I want to wait to see if my other fish start to develop disease before I take them out too. Is this an acceptable approach or should I really treat all the fish right away? I am hoping that the obviously infected fish did not drop any trophonts yet.

Please help. Your suggestions are needed. Never had to deal with this before.

FishBeard

Ya know what, I stopped by that guy to see those clowns yesterday, and pointed out the problem.
I told him it would be best to inform anyone else that stops by about it in case it was an issue.
Did he not say anything to you about it?

fit

That guy did not at all say anything to me. Really not acceptable. Isn't it criminal? I mean it is surely morally criminal, but isn't it also legally criminal? I was just about to call him and tell him to be careful. What a bad thing to do.

I know I have too many clowns. I was not intending to keep them all, just the blacks. Really screwed myself.

I will not try to use meds in the reef tank. Thanks for the advice BamBam.

Is it acceptable to wait to see if any of the others exhibit symptoms? The obviously infected one was in the tank for eight hours. Is it possible the tank is not yet infected? If so, what is the possibility? I discarded almost all of the water from the transfer.

fit

I got them from someone on CR. I am going to ask him to buy them back and or renumerate me for time, effort, frustration. I also want his first born and a pound of flesh. :eek:hwell:

Please understand I am only joking and I really mean no harm to anyone.

Pufferpunk

ALL your fish are infected, even if it doesn't show yet. you must hypo all the fish & leave your tank fallow for 8 weeks.

FishBeard

That guy did not at all say anything to me. Really not acceptable. Isn't it criminal? I mean it is surely morally criminal, but isn't it also legally criminal? I was just about to call him and tell him to be careful. What a bad thing to do.

I know I have too many clowns. I was not intending to keep them all, just the blacks. Really screwed myself.

I will not try to use meds in the reef tank. Thanks for the advice BamBam.

Is it acceptable to wait to see if any of the others exhibit symptoms? The obviously infected one was in the tank for eight hours. Is it possible the tank is not yet infected? If so, what is the possibility? I discarded almost all of the water from the transfer.
Nothing illegal about selling you fish. Really shitty and irresponsible that he said nothing to you about it. Shady and saddening one hobbyist would screw over another for a few bucks....

fit

Ok. So how soon do I have to get all those healthy looking fish rehoused? Can it wait a week?

Pufferpunk

Again I will tell you, ALL your fish, whether they look healthy or not are infected. I have had good luck treating with high dosing of vitamin C.

fit

Pufferpunk. Is that vitamin C in conjunction with hypo salinity?

Also how long do I have to get those other fish out? It will mean taking apart the entire system and I just want to know if it makes any difference if I do it immediately or if it can wait a little without any negatives for the fish?

zoomcorvette

I tried hypo and although I tried the "green" no chemical approach it was not as sucessful at saving the fish as a QT copper treatment. I personally wish i had never heard of Hypo. Just my experience. FYI I go out of my way to try and be as green as possible, and yes I know reeftanks are not that easy to justify in that respect but I feel like we are all saving the corals in 1 way or another.

fit

Thanks for your input zoomcorvet (jon). Did any of your fish die when you used the Hypo approach? What do you mean exactly that "it was not as sucessful at saving the fish as a QT copper treatment"?

I just got all the fish into a QT tank. Its's a 20 G. I filled it. Gentle power head, some PVC fittings, no substrate, DT tank water. Had to take almost all my rock and corals out. What a pain in the the tuchus. Tomorrow I start with the Hypo or the Cu. Haven't decided yet. I like the Hypo if it works as well as the Cu (verdict still out on this for me). Good for the fish and everything else except maybe I'll die. Oh well. You only live once and I'll leave CR my shtuff. I'll get a bubler in there later tonight. Going for a walk to the lake with my wife.

Thanks everyone for the help and concern. Please keep it coming.

snafu2223

i guess i would be the big jerk on here. i sold the fish to him. i bought a tank setup from a guy and he gave me all the fish and coral that he had in his tank. i did not see an infection. i asked the guy if the fish were clean and he said yea nothing wrong with the tank everything has been fine. one guy came and took a look at it. he said he saw a small spot at the bottom and showed me and i was like i really dont see anything. and he was like it could be something it could not be something but im not willing to risk it i said ok. so now i got one guy saying there fine and one guy not sure. i dont have a lot of experience in this saltwater stuff i just like fish and coral and i tend to waste a lot of money buying what i like and learning from many mistakes i make. i also put a dragon gobey in my tank so my tank as well is infected. but when he came over he inspected the fish and didnt see anything and he seemed to know his clowns he was the one telling me what kind of clowns those were. my main goal was to find a home quick for them so they didnt die. i have clowns in my tank and i didnt want to mix them. and after researching i found out why everyone wanted the blacks because online there 50 bucks each and the clarkiis were 20 each so theres 160 bucks in fish that i sold for 10 each just to try and find a good home for them and quick. and he also took a regular Ocellaris thats 15 bucks there. so thats a 175 bucks in fish if what im looking at is right.

like i said im sry for the outcome of this i ment no harm in anything just to hurry up and get these tank in a good place. i too got my tank infected with me emperata angle wrasse snowflake clowns. so one professional said they were good one professional said they could have something not they do have something. and the one professional inspected them and said ok ill take them. so who should i believe. big mistake i learned from this is not to deal with selling fish. i always hear horror stories on people selling fish and day later the have some kind of infection and there the king a$$hole now. i wasnt out to make money clearly. i had 10 people txt me in a matter of 20 min for the black clowns i didnt sit back and say hey wait this must be worth much more let me sell them for more. i said first come fist serve weather they wanted all of them or just the blacks. he offered to put a down payment on pay pal and my exact words were no sry im not worried about the money just worried about getting them out of the 10 gal tank i have them in. i am sry for everything i wont be selling anything on here any more just on here to enrich my knowledge and buy stuff from other people if everyone doesnt hate me. and i threw that dragon gobey in after he picked all the clowns up so if you think i was trying to screw him and knowing that it had an infection forrrr sure i still thew that fish in my tank.

fit

If there is a time that this situation occurs again, please mention that you have a potential problem. I believe you may not have know for sure that there was any kind of problem. But I believe that you strongly suspected it, even if you won't acknowledge it to yourself even. I would like a refund at the very least.

I am no expert. I am a novice.

Hope your infection treatment goes well. Let me know how that turns out. What the coral beauty up to these days?