Need help with overflow gurgle

Hi everyone,

I just started a 93g cube build. I bought this tank from a local reefer who gave me his entire setup. I'm starting to get annoyed by the gurgling noise in the overflow and trying to figure out the best method to reduce this noise. I've researched the Maggie Muffler, Dorso and Bernies Overflow technique but want to make sure that the approach I take will be the most successful. The problem I'm faced with right now is that the overflow is in the back corner of the room and very hard to get to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much experience with plumbing but feel that I could handle the job with some instruction. Below are pictures of the setup. I will upload a video once I can figure out how to do that. View attachment 25155View attachment 25156

beetlenut33

Premium member
It looks like you have a Durso Overflow.

You can try implementing this, it should help with the noise.

Last edited:
Thanks Beetlenut. I'm curious. Can I make this adjustment without emptying the tank or will I have to do that in order to glue this attachment?

beetlenut33

Premium member
You can try slipping the pieces on without glue. If glue is necessary, then you just need to remove some water from the overflow, not the entire tank.

Thanks Beetlenut. I'm curious. Can I make this adjustment without emptying the tank or will I have to do that in order to glue this attachment?

So, bad news. I tried making the piece that you recommended and it wasn't working. The water in the tank just builds up and then slirps back down every few minutes. It looks like the person who had the tank before me put a coupling on that one inch pipe to reduce it to a .50" piece. I think the .50" is too small of a diameter for the amount of water going down. On top of that, I can get in there enough to try and cut out the coupling that's been installed. Now I really need some opinions.

beetlenut33

Premium member
I would suggest you contact the manufacturer of the tank and purchase the plumbing kit that originally came with the tank. That way you would know it is designed properly and should work right out of the box.

If you need help, you could always reach out to a fish store. I recommend Aqua Pros, 500 & 510 Pennsylvania Ave, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137. (630) 935-1363

Gary Jones

I would just get a new over flow kit. That one looks home made nothing wrong with a home made one you just need to do the research before you make it

So yesterday I tried removing the pipe from the bulkhead. Unfortunately, the pipe is glued to the bulkhead and the bulkhead is glued to the tank. So I ended up clearing the water from the overflow and broke a saw blade in half and began to saw. I cut the reducer off the pipe then filled up the overflow a few times and drained to remove all the "pvc dust". I then added the durso pipe on top and it works pretty well. It has a very small noise remaining but it's a lot better.