Need help with possible algae issue

I started noticing some brown stringy hair looking algae on my rocks and clinging to some coral. Snails or crabs don't really do anything to it. I have to blow it off with a baster and eventually it will come back.
Any idea as to what it is and how to get rid of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrgouts

I had a horrible green hair algae problem. I started by hand removal, and vodka dosing.

mikenh77

Gotta hand remove if it's a lot. And clean up your water!!!! High nitrates and phosphates lead to algae growth :(.

It's definitely not green hair algae. I can't find anything online about it unless I'm not searching for the right thing
It's not a lot (can't even get a good pic of it with my phone) and hasn't gotten out of hand or anything I'm just trying to be proactive

Mrgouts

Sorry... When that didn't seem to do much I bought a brs dual reactor running GFO and carbon. It was probably the best thing I could have done for my tank. The hair algae was noticeably receding within a few days. And gone by two weeks.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Try a google image search for "dinoflagellates reef" and see if that looks similar in any of the images.

Mrgouts

I was just about down and out before I got that dual reactor. Don't know if gfo helps against Dino's but again I wouldn't still be reefing if it wasn't for that.

Dino's = no fun for reefer. Good luck man don't get discouraged

Thanks. I'm going to do some manual removal and do some more water testing. I've been reading to stop water changes at the moment. But like i said before, its not much and I wouldn't call it a "bloom". I started noticing it just a couple of days ago so hopefully my test results can point me to the right direction of preventing an real issue

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I don't know for sure but you raise your mag to1600 I think but you have to use tech m mag. There's a discussion on it posted on a different forum.

Mrgouts

Actually I did this method too I totally forgot! I was dosing Kent tech m a few caps a day or every other day. With no effect cuz I was doing it wrong..... You literally have to dump a quarter to half the bottle if you have more then a 50g. Do the research on how much you would use in your tank. And also checking your mag would help before buying more stuff.