Need Help!!

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
2 days ago my green birdsnest started to bleach. Today, it's totally gone. Now, in the last few hours, my purple haze monti (seen below the bleached birdsnest) has started to bleach!! What should I do. It looks like its spreading fast on the monti. Should I try to break the healthy part away from the bleached part? This is strange and I'm not sure why it's happening. I went from 6 T5's to 8 about 2 weeks ago and these are both pretty high up in the tank. I wouldn't think it would be from too much light. Since the monti is so close to the birdsnest I'm wondering if it could be something else.
your thought?

FishBeard

RTN? (rapid tissue necrosis). It is contagious in close proximity. Save what you can and minimize your losses. And move your other sps away. Would be a good idea to give them all a quick dip if you have any.

EricTheRed

Well, they were in very close proximity. I wasn't sure if RTN was contagious but I moved the rock away from others. Should I break off the dead monti section?

EricTheRed

jcarlilesiu

Well, they were in very close proximity. I wasn't sure if RTN was contagious but I moved the rock away from others. Should I break off the dead monti section?
The best thing to do with RTN is to mitigate loss and move on. Don't try and fight it.

Break off the portions of the colony you are sure are not affected and throw the rest out. Remount it once you are sure the salvaged piece is all clear. Good luck.

EricTheRed

The best thing to do with RTN is to mitigate loss and move on. Don't try and fight it.

Break off the portions of the colony you are sure are not affected and throw the rest out. Remount it once you are sure the salvaged piece is all clear. Good luck.
I chisled off the dead monti. Hopefully the rest will survive. I was a bit worried since I didn't know RTN could spread.

Thanks guys!