Need help!

Rcunning8

Premium member
Hey Guys,

So I am at a loss for what is going on so I thought I would post here. Last night I came out to look at the tank with the lights off like I always do and I saw a huge chunk of my mother of pearl just lying on the sanded, this thing is a half inch of girth branch. I was at a loss for what could have broken it and just figured it was myself moving stuff around and accidentally knocked a chunk off like I always do. However this is a thick chunk something that would take a great deal of effort even intentionally fragging it with bone cutters. Anyways I didn't think much about it and I went to bed.

This morning I come out to drop food into the tank to feed my fish and I see two more much skinnier smaller branches of RC Cloud9 laying on the sandbed. I looked to see what part of the colony they came from and there is no way I could have knocked these branches off, they were deep in the colony and protected on all sides by rock and other acros...

I would post pics but it would be pointless, it just looks like someone is coming in while I'm sleeping and fragging my colonies because the branches are knocked clean off the colony. The frags that have been found this way look nice and have great polyp extension and no bite marks.

I thought maybe either one of three of my large fish might have gone after the across even though they are all reef safe. They are a large nano tang, sargassum trigger and purple tang. Other fish are just gobies, clowns, wrasses and bartlett anthias, too small and too reef safe to have caused this kind of damage.

What do you guys think? I thought maybe hobbit worm but Im telling you there is just no way I missed a hobbit worm after all this time there are just not enough places to hide and I constantly have eyes on that tank with lights both off and on...

Thanks for reading

Ryan

wrasse

How do the trigger and the tangs get along? Are any of your fish doing FIGHT CLUB at night?

Rcunning8

Premium member
Do you have any type of sea urchin in your tank?
Yup I have a Halloween urchin and a bunch of snails I'm starting to think that the big chunk that was taken off the mother of pearl was a result of me knocking into that coral and the smaller branches that I found this morning were from a snail passing by trying to fit in between the acro and the rock. Although the timing that these two colonies lost branches is highly coincidental I feel like these two separate acros are most likely stemming from these two separate etiologies..

Do u know if Halloween urchins take branches off acros? I've had this one for years and never had an issue with it

Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
How do the trigger and the tangs get along? Are any of your fish doing FIGHT CLUB at night?
Lol nope no fight club in this tank, everyone is really peaceful. Occasionally I'll see my purple tang chasing wrasses here and there

xj_matt

Premium member
Yup I have a Halloween urchin and a bunch of snails I'm starting to think that the big chunk that was taken off the mother of pearl was a result of me knocking into that coral and the smaller branches that I found this morning were from a snail passing by trying to fit in between the acro and the rock. Although the timing that these two colonies lost branches is highly coincidental I feel like these two separate acros are most likely stemming from these two separate etiologies..

Do u know if Halloween urchins take branches off acros? I've had this one for years and never had an issue with it

Thanks man!

I am not sure but I do know that the one I had was curing my frags around for a while till I glued them down

RicoReef

Hey Ryan could it be that big hermit crab ? They like to climb on corals and knock frags around. to the sump he goes rrrrrrrrr.....

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
Hey Ryan could it be that big hermit crab ? They like to climb on corals and knock frags around. to the sump he goes rrrrrrrrr.....

Yup thought of that too although last night I saw him eating a dead snail in the corner and this morning he was in the exact same spot and therefore did not move. nevertheless I removed him and he is now in the huge just to make sure

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure but I do know that the one I had was curing my frags around for a while till I glued them down

Lol yes this is why I glue down everything even my frags on my rack if I am leaving for an extended period of time

Rcunning8

Premium member
i second snail. i had stupid snails knock off frags that i glued to rocks.

Yes I am thinking snail cause as well. I even remember removing a large torches snail this morning from the area of the frag where it was broken when I was gluing the broken branches back onto the colony. What I can't explain is the large 1/2 inch girth of a chunk of mother of pearl was nocked off as that piece is out in the open. Again Im thinking I may have knocked that one but damn Id imagine taking a piece off that thick would take a good deal of effort even with bone cutters. Therefore I am still suspicious of foul play because I don't remember knocking it that hard and a piece that thick would most likely result in a skin laceration or bruise or something if I was able to generate enough force to knock something that thick off!!!

I will patiently wait and see how things progress over the next couple of weeks. A while back I researched bobbit worms as I was sure that "I had one" after seeing the most disgusting video online on youtube of a 10 meter bobbit worm swimming around a tank that had been up for decades without the owner noticing. I went on a witch hunt for the bobbit worm even though I had no symptoms of bobbit worm infection except a skinny anthias i used to have went missing (probably just died). I ended up moving the tank and therefore had to break it down and did a thorough inspection of all the rocks and never found anything, have not lost a fish in almost a year so I think I am in the clear. However during my research of bobbit worms I found out that a significant sign that u may have a bobbit is if large parts of SPS mysteriously start falling off or go missing. So of course that was my largest fear. But since the move I have gotten rid of a lot of the porous rock that has hiding places and replaced with tonga. I am also constantly druling over my tank both when lights are off and when lights are on and I know ever square millimeter by heart and Im sorry, but no way in hell is something like that ever going to be able to in a million years evade my surveillance. So I will keep watching and let you guys know what happens!!

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
your room mates are selling frags lol

LOL! Best answer to date. Sorry Ryan, I don't have much else to add, most of the possible culprits have been identified. It's goign to be a challenge to identify which one(s).Good luck that it's quick and easy to find.

Rcunning8

Premium member
That's great news ryan.
Im hoping this thing knocks over a chunk off your waltD.

You got my number.
lol I might frag that thing soon, I been reading that they grow faster if u do. My main issue with the wd is I don't think it's all that.. I feel like it only looks good under blues and when the whites are on it just kinda has like a beige pastel color to it and polyps look kinda yellow. I have other corals that I got for so much cheaper that I like way more than that thing but whatever!! Who knows maybe I'm giving it too much light but I don't care enough to move it because there is quite literally nowhere for it to be moved to. Lol u gonna try to do the "buy one get one Freddy percent off deal?" Lol