need lighting Idea's for 28 gallon nano cube

steveo9043

Ok so some back ground if you don't know. Set my gf up with a 28 gallon nano cube for Freshwater. We are able to maintain a temp of 77 degree's in the tank until the lights come on. The temp has jumped as high up as 87 degrees. Which is WAY too high. It's the MH setup. I don't want to buy a chiller so I am thinking of new lighting.

It is/will be a planted tank so I am thinking about a two bulb t5HO fixture. But the tank is only 18in left to right. I haven't been able to find a t5 setup that small.

I would like to be under $100 on this.

Any opinions?

steveo9043

I noticed there are hoods that say they fit the 24 and 28 and others that just say 24. I was thinking of the PC hood.

tinman

de rim the tank and get one ( or two) of these .. and you are golden..

i use the same ones on my biocube planted tank (soon to be reef again) and yes the lights are ok to grow most low requirement plants ( aka green plants)

http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-ray-ii-ultra-slim-led-ds-dual-7000k.html

Ok so some back ground if you don't know. Set my gf up with a 28 gallon nano cube for Freshwater. We are able to maintain a temp of 77 degree's in the tank until the lights come on. The temp has jumped as high up as 87 degrees. Which is WAY too high. It's the MH setup. I don't want to buy a chiller so I am thinking of new lighting.

It is/will be a planted tank so I am thinking about a two bulb t5HO fixture. But the tank is only 18in left to right. I haven't been able to find a t5 setup that small.

I would like to be under $100 on this.

Any opinions?

CoralN00b

I am not a resident expert on lighting but have you thought about the Ecoexotic LEDs? I have heard mixed reviews on them when it comes to reefs but for the most part, I would say they are favored by the reviews I have seen.

I would think they would work well for a planted tank. Sorry I can't offer more help on this.

DD

"Rambo"
One option if you don't want to derim the tank is to look at rapidled's site for their retrofit kits, and call them to discuss what you're trying to do. I believe they will alter the led colors for you, or at least give you some direction. Not the cheapest way, but you'll keep the hood and rim intact.

CoralN00b

+1 to what DD said. If this is the JBJ nano tank, I would go with steve's instead. I didn't realize you had to de-rim it for the other ones.

If it is the JBJ nano, you could still use the hood. I recently did this on my tank but i switched from halide's to LEDs.

steveo9043

Nah you can use them on dimmed tanks also

I just em said derim so it would look more awesome :)
lol thanks. I don't think she would like the look of a de rimmed tank. She doesn't like seeing the water line at all. I will take a look at those. I think tropiquatics in lombard carry's the finnex ray 2's

steveo9043

Thank you sir! I'm wondering it looks like a 18in would be small even tho the dimensions for the 28 is 18in wide.