Need more dozing!!

SkullV

I have about 2 refills worth of my C-Balance 2-part gallons left, once i burn thru that, I am going to give the Fusion a try. It may be more expensive, but ive heard from more than a handful of people using it now that it works better than any other 2-part solution out there. Its only money, right?
A few of the experts (Randy Holmes Farley, Bertoni) have commented that Reef Fusion is also approximatly 2x as potent than other forms of 2 part.

The dosing calculator confirms this:

Using Reef Fusion it would take ~27ml of Alk to get a 90g tank from 8.3 - 9.3

Using Randy's Recipe 1 (BRS Alk) it would take ~64ml of Alk to get a 90g tank from 8.3 - 9.3

Using Randy's Recipe 2 (BRS Alk) it would take ~128ml of Alk to get a 90g tank from 8.3 - 9.3

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
SkullV, why did you switch from kalk to 2 part dosing?

I'm dosing kalk but add Seachem's Reef Plus 2x week and I've seen a big difference in pe and growth.

SkullV

SkullV, why did you switch from kalk to 2 part dosing?

I'm dosing kalk but add Seachem's Reef Plus 2x week and I've seen a big difference in pe and growth.
A few reasons, the first being that I wasn't evaporating enough to use enough Kalk to keep my system stable (happened a LONG time ago with my Dual Nano System). Once I switched over to 2 part things stayed stable and the fact that I have an automated dosing system allows me to be very precise in my dosing rather than rely on evap for Kalk.

I have considered adding Kalk back into my ATO a few times just to drive down costs, but growth, pe, and color are so incredible with the Reef Fusion that I don't want to mess with it. Again, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

The reefer

Great charts Ted. And yea the cost sucks but seeing ur tank since we set it up till now, show me that fusion works great. I just started taking advice from Ted on dosing fusion. Right now I'm at 5ml of each. That's with a clam and a couple sps frags.

EricTheRed

Okay, I decided to splurge. I just bought a jug of Seachem's Reef Trace and will start dosing it with their Reef Plus, as they recommend. This should cover all the bases of what's in the Fusion (and maybe more.) I'll stick with my Mrs. Wages lime for the Ca and Alk.....$25 lasts me a year :)

jcarlilesiu

who has that extra mg that said they could bring it to the Christmas party?

Or maybe they sell it at MCF?

Blake!? Do you sell magnesium supplement?

SkullV

who has that extra mg that said they could bring it to the Christmas party?

Or maybe they sell it at MCF?

Blake!? Do you sell magnesium supplement?
I'm SURE that they have Mg at MCF, I know they carry the full line of Brightwell stuff, but if they have Kent Tech M it is what I like to use (supposed to kill bryopsis too if you have any).

jcarlilesiu

I'm SURE that they have Mg at MCF, I know they carry the full line of Brightwell stuff, but if they have Kent Tech M it is what I like to use (supposed to kill bryopsis too if you have any).
I have a bryopsis eating machine installed.

Thanks though

jfuka78

I dose two part, but I am not sure if I am doing something right or wrong. I use randys and ad apx. 350ml of each every day. alk is on a litermeter and calcium is on a brs doser. I mix it to the specs but this is only way it stays stable and my mg is 1400

jcarlilesiu

I dose two part, but I am not sure if I am doing something right or wrong. I use randys and ad apx. 350ml of each every day. alk is on a litermeter and calcium is on a brs doser. I mix it to the specs but this is only way it stays stable and my mg is 1400
Hmmm..

My wife handles all the dosing. Ill let her chime in since I am not really sure what you just said. Haha!

MMreef

How big is your tank? Something got to be off,to dose this much you need big tank full of mature colonies of SPS. I have 120gal.and when it was full of SPS I never dosed more than 100ml. a day of each.I use two part as well. 350ml. is more than third of a liter,it just doesn't make sense.

jfuka78

I know, I don't understand. I use a 5 gallon bucket 4 gallons of water and 6 cups baking soda. Pretty much same for calcium except use Morton salt pellets.

EricTheRed

I know, I don't understand. I use a 5 gallon bucket 4 gallons of water and 6 cups baking soda. Pretty much same for calcium except use Morton salt pellets.
I'd get another Mg test kit and see if you're low. You will find it very difficult to maintain high alkalinity and calcium levels if magnesium is low.

EricTheRed

What is the concentration of CaCl in the Morton Salt pellets? Their Ice Melter product is a mix of CaCl and NaCl. They don't list the ratio on their website but perhaps the concentration of CaCl is lower than DowFlake, which is what Randy recommends using in his recipie.

Regarding your Ca; you are not following Randy's recipies as far as I can tell. Randy has 2 recipies for Ca solutions. Recipie #1 is for those with normal pH and recipie #2 is for those with higher pH and/or if you are dosing Kalk, which you have not mentioned doing.

In recipie #1: You are supposed to mix 2.50 cups of CaCl per gallon of rodi. So if you mix 4 gallons at a time, that would be 10 cups of CaCl, not the 6 you are using. This is probably why you are using so much...your solution is diluted and weak.

Regarding your Alk; it doesn't look like you're following Randy's recipies for this either. Randy has 2 recipies for alk solutions. Recipie #1 for those with normal pH and recipie #2 for those with higher pH (8.4+ , usually associated with running Kalk.)

In recipie #1: You are supposed to mix 2.25 cups of baking soda per gallon. You also should bake the baking soda in the oven to increase its potency. So if you mix 4 gallons at a time, that would be 9 cups of baking soda, not the 6 you are using. This is probably why you are using so much...its weak.

I don't know if you're baking your baking soda but your certainly not using enough of it.

Where did you find your recipie?

Here are Randy's recipies...written by Randy...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

jfuka78

I will have to look into how i mix it up. Now I can not remember.
as for the salt I had them fax me the msds papers and the salt is pure CaCl

jfuka78

I mixed up a couple fresh batches, maybe the wife diluted or I made a bad batch. will have to monitor it closely.
Lowered the dosing down to 60ml per day now to see what happens.

I use mortons Safe T Power Ice Melt