Need some plumbing advice

AForys

OK, I just got my hands on a glasscages 40g cube. These tanks come with the 2 holes on the bottom, I believe one is 1 1/2" and one is 1". Just trying to plan out my plumbing before I actually get parts etc. and waste $ as I'm new to overflows, my main question is there any types of silencers like the beans for these types of overflows? I will be using a trigger ruby 20 cube as a sump. Since the hole is mid tank I will need to use a 90 or 45 to get drain to the sump, should I use a 90 or a 45? Ball valves on return and drain? I'm using a jebao dct 4000, I think the valve on the return will be useless since these pumps are controllable? Should I hard pipe the return? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

jayjerk

Premium member
It's all preference. But I would hard pipe. If not use flex pipe. F using hoses. You will need a stand pipe. For overflow you can make pretty quiet but silent prob not. Ditch ball and use gate valves. Unless u buying high end ball valves. And this whole hobby is about wasting money. Get use to it

AForys

oh a agree with wasting $ but trying to prevent as much as possible is key! I understand stand pipe, was more or less talking about durso and reverse durso or something similar to prevent as much noise as possible. I was going to hard pipe drain for sure, should I hard pipe return as well? is spa flex better or just another option? I would be able to use spa flex as I have a bottom drilled tank, better to cut the 90's and 45s and use the flex? only over flow I've used was a hob just trying to track down best methods, I know many of the CR are very experienced. just trying to soak in any knowledge willing to be shared and of course more researching on top of it.

jayjerk

Premium member
Spa flex will help eliminate some of the elbows thus increasing flow. Plumb everything and use as many unions as you can. I don't personally because I'm dumb and I don't glue anything but yea.

AForys

as many as I can? being it's a bottom drilled tank, I planned only 2. 1 right after pump and 1 for drain. I won't need to much pvc...it's going to be about a ft price each for return and pump, lil more but not much. the stand I want is 35" and the ruby20c is 15" with the bottom of stand add 2" so about 17" of pvc. is there a reason for more unions besides making it easier for cleaning access and repairs?

Joe5688

also, wouldn't some elbows help reduce some of the spa effect in sump?
Elbow slow flow and cause noise. I'd spa flex most of it. It's expensive but u'll get a way quieter system not having elbows of any sort. Agree w/ Jerkass. Get gate valves, Ball valves lock up over time and the handles break off. Ask me how i know...

Joe5688

and any piece/parts/pumps u ever plan to clean put as union lol. Union is sweet also because it allows you to change directions of pipes/plumbing if needed.

AForys

being such a short distance, don't think I need more then 1 union on each line. maybe half way on each line, so on the drain I'll be able to take it apart from end to mid then mid to bulk. and same as return. and I think I'll use spa flex all around. one other question I have is the herbie method worth it? I would need a hob return line, is it really that quite?

AForys

what I've been reading is with the durso you get a really bad spa effect. then I read about reverse durso. my plan was to have the drain set up as a reverse durso in sump but have it split to and have valves to run a second line for a filter sock for when I do maintenance so one would be closed be closes at all times. it's going to be a zoa/LPS tank and don't plan on running a sock at all times. lil more work in plumbing but not a bad idea?

Joe5688

what I've been reading is with the durso you get a really bad spa effect. then I read about reverse durso. my plan was to have the drain set up as a reverse durso in sump but have it split to and have valves to run a second line for a filter sock for when I do maintenance so one would be closed be closes at all times. it's going to be a zoa/LPS tank and don't plan on running a sock at all times. lil more work in plumbing but not a bad idea?
what is this spa effect u guys keep talking about? lol.

I've had a durso for the whole time i'd had my tank and i have no complaints.

Joe5688

quite at the overflow, but massive amounts of bubbles and loud sump. you have bottom drilled tank?
I have a rear drilled tank. All you need to do is make an air outlet at the sump. Could be done w/ a 90* elbow or something just so the air can escape before it goes into the water in the sump. WIth my tank i just drilled a hole in the spa flex about 2" above the water so air could escape.

AForys

yea, I've also seen the reverse durso. imma do a little more research but i finalize. I wanna see what people with bottom drilled tanks are doing.

Joe5688

my dads is bottom drilled and he has his directly in his sump with no reverse durso and no issues. Even if u get the "spa" effect if u have a bubble trap u have no worries.

AForys

yeah, I more or less worried about noise as this will be in living room. I know there will always be noise but trying to get a minimum.