Need to start thinking sump for my 240.

caragol

I was thinking of something very basic maybe a 125g tank with some glass baffles? Three compartments, left side would be where water enters, plus skimmer. Flows to middle which is a simple chaeto/rubble fuge. Flows to smaller return chamber.

The leftmost chamber with the skimmer is large to accomodate about 35-40 gallons of water. When it's time for a water change, I shut off skimmer/return pump and pump out water from here rather than display.

Thoughts? Better design? Biomedia? Should I try to get a used 125 or try to get something acrylic going?

View attachment 18358

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I would go with a used glass tank to save money. I have my return in the middle section. The drain pipe is "T"ed with a gate valve on the fuge side; it allow you to control the flow going into it.

SniperZ

i use a 125 gal. for my sump on my 180. works great. your designs look good. i have used the middle return and was not a huge fan of it. the 125 i currently use goes from left to right, filter sock area, refugium, skimmer, return. once my tank is broken down it will be for sale. but who knows how long that will be.

Joe5688

I was thinking of something very basic maybe a 125g tank with some glass baffles? Three compartments, left side would be where water enters, plus skimmer. Flows to middle which is a simple chaeto/rubble fuge. Flows to smaller return chamber.

The leftmost chamber with the skimmer is large to accomodate about 35-40 gallons of water. When it's time for a water change, I shut off skimmer/return pump and pump out water from here rather than display.

Thoughts? Better design? Biomedia? Should I try to get a used 125 or try to get something acrylic going?

View attachment 18358

I'm running the same set up