Neptune Systems COR Return Pump Line - Does anyone uses them?

enzo1028

Premium member
I'm thinking about going with as many Neptune products as possible for my new 120g build. I'm interested in the COR pumps for my return pump but I have not seen too many reviews online yet. Does anyone here have one or have experience with them?

Beardown

I'm thinking about going with as many Neptune products as possible for my new 120g build. I'm interested in the COR pumps for my return pump but I have not seen too many reviews online yet. Does anyone here have one or have experience with them?
I use the COR 20 on my 210. Works really well, and it’s really quiet. I’ve been using it since beta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enzo1028

Premium member
I use the COR 20 on my 210. Works really well, and it’s really quiet. I’ve been using it since beta

That's good to hear. I was thinking about putting the COR 15 on my new 120g build. Do you think it's worth the extra money vs a MAG? I'm going to be doing some traveling next year and I'd like to be able to monitor every aspect of my tank as possible, so I'd like to go with as much Neptune stuff as possible.

Is it worth the extra money? Did you put a grate on the intake to prevent stuff from getting sucked in?

Beardown

I didn’t grate it off. I like it a lot more than my M1, but that’s just personal preference. I feel like it draws more circulation, although it’s rated the same.

enzo1028

Premium member
I didn’t grate it off. I like it a lot more than my M1, but that’s just personal preference. I feel like it draws more circulation, although it’s rated the same.

Cool, thanks for the replies. Do you have it hooked up to an Apex right now?

blkhwkz

Premium member
I was one of the beta testers for the COR-20 so I have been using it since late August. I am using it on a Red Sea Reefer XL425. Running it on an Apex 2016, part of the beta test was to use it in standalone mode too, did that for about a week. I have had no issues with the pump, it replaced a Sicce Syncra 5.0 on my sytem. I will say at the end of the beta test they sent us retail models as they had made some kind of tweaks, the new ones actually were a bit more powerful. My max speed is now 63% (it was 77% on the original one I had) and 1% for feed mode on the new one still pumps a small amount of water. The goal for 1% was no back flow and no pumping, which I could do with the original and not the replacement.

I have not put anything on to protect the intake and have had no issues. I would go with the COR-20 and not a COR-15 personally. They are the same pumps, the driver is the difference. Also the COR-20 can work in standalone mode, so in case your Apex ever has an issue, pump can still be used.

I am running Apex 2016, 2 Neptune WAV, DOS and DDR, COR-20, and ATK on this tank. Really no complaints with anything other than the DDR, waste of money for the most part, but I had bought mine used. All the other Apex gear was bought brand new.

GugsJr

TeamCR
How are the flow rates? I'm debating on picking one up. I have an Ehiem 5000+ and Rio 2500 going to the frag and display and not impressed with the flow rates. L_RTRN(display) is my ehiem 5000+, Frag and R_RTRN(display) from RIO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

enzo1028

Premium member
I was one of the beta testers for the COR-20 so I have been using it since late August. I am using it on a Red Sea Reefer XL425. Running it on an Apex 2016, part of the beta test was to use it in standalone mode too, did that for about a week. I have had no issues with the pump, it replaced a Sicce Syncra 5.0 on my sytem. I will say at the end of the beta test they sent us retail models as they had made some kind of tweaks, the new ones actually were a bit more powerful. My max speed is now 63% (it was 77% on the original one I had) and 1% for feed mode on the new one still pumps a small amount of water. The goal for 1% was no back flow and no pumping, which I could do with the original and not the replacement.

I have not put anything on to protect the intake and have had no issues. I would go with the COR-20 and not a COR-15 personally. They are the same pumps, the driver is the difference. Also the COR-20 can work in standalone mode, so in case your Apex ever has an issue, pump can still be used.

I am running Apex 2016, 2 Neptune WAV, DOS and DDR, COR-20, and ATK on this tank. Really no complaints with anything other than the DDR, waste of money for the most part, but I had bought mine used. All the other Apex gear was bought brand new.
Thanks for the response. I plan on doing the same equipment for my 120g but I will also be buying the DDR used because it seems highly overpriced for a couple of plastic jars lol. I will also probably stick with my Smart ATO instead of the ATK.

Do you think you would be fine with the COR 15? The 20 seems to be overkill if you are only running it at 63%. I was considering the 15 so I can save myself a power outlet and a couple dollars.

blkhwkz

Premium member
Thanks for the response. I plan on doing the same equipment for my 120g but I will also be buying the DDR used because it seems highly overpriced for a couple of plastic jars lol. I will also probably stick with my Smart ATO instead of the ATK.

Do you think you would be fine with the COR 15? The 20 seems to be overkill if you are only running it at 63%. I was considering the 15 so I can save myself a power outlet and a couple dollars.
As long as you are not plumbing it through some large manifold feeding a bunch of reactors, the COR-15 should be okay. If I stopped being lazy and changed the plumbing on this tank I would be running it even lower. The stock Red Sea plumbing I have a couple of barbed fittings, a reducing barb by the pump and the Red Sea stock barb that connects to the pipe in overflow, so flow is greatly reduced compared to changing it out.

For the DDR, be careful with the middle section between the 2 jars that has the wires coming out. Neptune does not seal it, had an issue where DDR would no longer show on Fusion and sent it in for repairs, they said the PCB had gotten wet in there and it was $60 for the repair. Plus the cost of shipping it to them, ate all the savings from me buying it used. Now I keep a microfiber towel over that area and am overly cautious, DDR is next to my ATO container. I know for a fact I have not had any spills since the repair and I still have times the DDR just disappears and then comes back. Saturday it did it 3 times, sometimes it takes a day to a week to show up again, sometimes an hour.

enzo1028

Premium member
As long as you are not plumbing it through some large manifold feeding a bunch of reactors, the COR-15 should be okay. If I stopped being lazy and changed the plumbing on this tank I would be running it even lower. The stock Red Sea plumbing I have a couple of barbed fittings, a reducing barb by the pump and the Red Sea stock barb that connects to the pipe in overflow, so flow is greatly reduced compared to changing it out.

For the DDR, be careful with the middle section between the 2 jars that has the wires coming out. Neptune does not seal it, had an issue where DDR would no longer show on Fusion and sent it in for repairs, they said the PCB had gotten wet in there and it was $60 for the repair. Plus the cost of shipping it to them, ate all the savings from me buying it used. Now I keep a microfiber towel over that area and am overly cautious, DDR is next to my ATO container. I know for a fact I have not had any spills since the repair and I still have times the DDR just disappears and then comes back. Saturday it did it 3 times, sometimes it takes a day to a week to show up again, sometimes an hour.
That's great info, thanks.

I don't plan on doing a manifold for the plumbing. I was planning on doing a fairly simple plumbing setup with a few unions and ball valves for some control/ease of access to clean. But that's about it.

100LL

I have both a COR15 and COR20 running and like them both. I’d be happy to answer any specific questions you have about them that others haven’t already answered. Regarding your desire to opt out of the ATK, I think that may be a big mistake. I love the ATK and I have mine hooked to a “pMup” and without even having a low level sensor in the ATO reservoir it notifies me when/if I run out of water. Honestly, I accidentally came across that feature and I love it! Buy the ATK and forget the Smart ATO...

(I hate REALLY hate the business practices/mobster mentality of Neptune Systems, but the fact is their shit is as good as anything commercially available in this hobby)

enzo1028

Premium member
I have both a COR15 and COR20 running and like them both. I’d be happy to answer any specific questions you have about them that others haven’t already answered. Regarding your desire to opt out of the ATK, I think that may be a big mistake. I love the ATK and I have mine hooked to a “pMup” and without even having a low level sensor in the ATO reservoir it notifies me when/if I run out of water. Honestly, I accidentally came across that feature and I love it! Buy the ATK and forget the Smart ATO...

(I hate REALLY hate the business practices/mobster mentality of Neptune Systems, but the fact is their shit is as good as anything commercially available in this hobby)

What are the housing screws made out of on the COR? I watched BRS review and it looks like the front cover was held on by metal screws. What size tank to you have the 15 on?

As for the ATK, I am already spending WAY more than I wanted to on this build, I think that was 1 financial corner I was going to cut as I've been very happy with my Smart ATO. The ATK may be something I add down the road.

100LL

What are the housing screws made out of on the COR? I watched BRS review and it looks like the front cover was held on by metal screws. What size tank to you have the 15 on?

As for the ATK, I am already spending WAY more than I wanted to on this build, I think that was 1 financial corner I was going to cut as I've been very happy with my Smart ATO. The ATK may be something I add down the road.
4x Titanium socket screws.

I am actually running the COR15 as my feed pump for my Lifereef Skimmer... lol.

I have the COR20 as my return on my DB80 and also feeding my ATS. The pump is at 60% and running 390gph return AND 185gph through the ATS. Both flow rates are are metered by the FMM.

I totally understand what you are saying about the ATO and keeping spending to a minimum. I just wanted to encourage you to consider making an ATK part of your future plans.