New 28G Nano Cube

Green0j0s

Just started in the saltwater aquarium hobby.

Bought a new 28G JBJ Quad PC setup with stand and started setting it up on my Bday last Sunday.

So far this is what I have:

28G JBJ Quad
20 lbs of BRS reef saver rock
5 lb of Pukani Live Rock (which I think I killed)
30 lbs Live Sand
Eheim 150w Heater
Vortech MP10
InTank Basket

I just got the heater on about Wednesday so I was running the tank for a couple of days without a heater and I believe my live rock died as one night the water got pretty cold. I have the temp steady now at 79 degrees.

I'm thinking of throwing in a fresh shrimp into the tank tonight and getting a cycle going. I'm being patient trying not to get excited and impulse buying any livestock till I get it cycled.

I'll get some pics of the tank setup a little later but wanted to get my self introduced.

Thanks!

gonebad395

Great man yeah take your time look into your buys nothing but crap is cheap in this hobby and you can spend a lot of unnecessary money on junk patience is the key take it slow and gl.

Jep21

Patience is key bro.. Lookin Good job so far though.. Looks like ur in the right track

Cubbies

Definitely need to get that cycle going. Clear up that water and be patient. Soon you will have a beauty on your hands. Time and patience are a must.

Green0j0s

Any one know what this means? This is before I put in the fresh shrimp. Should I still throw it in there? Seems like I'm already going through something by the looks of this.

sparky5785

The die off from the live rock has started your cycle. Once ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0 nitrates will be high do a big water change and then you are ready to go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Green0j0s

Well not too sure on the inhabitants of the tank yet. I do want to end up with a pair of Black Ice Clowns or black snowflakes, maybe an orchid dottyback, some frogspawn, hammer coral, zoas, and eventually get some acropora frags. I want colorful corals so I might try also getting some nice Duncan's and bright ricordia shrooms.

Other fish I've been thinking of getting include yellow watchman, blue dot jawfish, yellow tail damsel, purple firefish. A mandarin! But I know I probably most likely will not end up with one of those unless by some miracle I can sustain pods in my tank.

I'm not too sure on wether or not I want to get some shrimp in there and what type of CUC I should invest yet. Any ideas? Recommendations?

Green0j0s

My tank is cycled!!! Finally!!!

I did however get a hammer coral and some snails before. It showed small signs of ammonia and nitrites last week when I introduced the hammer but tested again today and nitrites and ammonia are at zero. Nitrates were thru the roof!! Immediate water change and all is well now. I added a small dose of Prime just in case.

frostyjay1

My tank is cycled!!! Finally!!!

I did however get a hammer coral and some snails before. It showed small signs of ammonia and nitrites last week when I introduced the hammer but tested again today and nitrites and ammonia are at zero. Nitrates were thru the roof!! Immediate water change and all is well now. I added a small dose of Prime just in case.
ok ok so where are the new pics?????

jfarris1976

You can actually get Mandarins now already eating frozen FYI. I am wanting to get one in my nano. Watchman are fun too!!!!

Cecily

You can actually get Mandarins now already eating frozen FYI. I am wanting to get one in my nano. Watchman are fun too!!!!
Be careful. I had an ORA spotted in my nano who ate frozen/pellets. Got a taste of real pods and wanted nothing to do with the frozen/pellets anymore!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Green0j0s

Do you know a place locally that has these available? I'd like to take a look at one. I am too scared to get one right now as my tank just finished cycling. I bought a Firefish over the weekend. He's been doing fine. But seems I went through a small cycle after adding him.

I got an algae bloom today.