New Addition to the Family.

Chipster67

Went on a trip to Beyond Reef, then to Aqua Pro and ended up at Reef Wise.
So I picked up a 2 headed Purple Tipped Frogspawn.

So my questions is, would you usually see these on the sand bed? also, I have med flow, and good light hitting that area is that ok? or should the flow be low?

I'll post pictures once it opens up a bit.

Chip

jm23

You can have it on the sandbed, but you don't want the fleshy part touching the sand as this can irritate the coral and possibly cause infections. Medium light and medium flow works well. You want the tentacles of the frogspawn to move in the flow, but not to be blasted or this will cause them to retract.

Chipster67

You can have it on the sandbed, but you don't want the fleshy part touching the sand as this can irritate the coral and possibly cause infections. Medium light and medium flow works well. You want the tentacles of the frogspawn to move in the flow, but not to be blasted or this will cause them to retract.
Jon,

Thanks for the info. It's on a plug right now, and I pushed the plug in to the sand and covered up the top of the plug with sand, so now removing the sand from top of plug.
I think it is also on med/high flow, so it seemed to look better when on other side of tank, so will move it now so it gets light/med flow.

should this be removed from the plug and put on to a rock or something? Or will it grow just fine on the plug?

jm23

I would glue it to a rock as frogspawn can grow quite big and would constantly be tipping over if just shoved in the sand.

Chipster67

ok will have to get a rock, and some glue, I take it the gel glue from Menards is fine? I also assume I just POP it off the plug, and stick to rock. Since I've never done this before... Do I do this outside the tank? also do I wait for it to dry first or just glue and stick back in tank, the gel will hold in place?!

Thanks for any tips.

Here it is, awaiting it to open up :)
View attachment 782

Chip

Last edited:

SkullV

ok will have to get a rock, and some glue, I take it the gel glue from Menards is fine? I also assume I just POP it off the plug, and stick to rock. Since I've never done this before... Do I do this outside the tank? also do I wait for it to dry first or just glue and stick back in tank, the gel will hold in place?!

Thanks for any tips.

Here it is, awaiting it to open up :)
View attachment 782

Chip
Any "cyanoacrylate" super glue gel is fine. For larger bony coral you will probably want to use putty epoxy too. JB WaterWeld is reef safe and cures in water. I usually like to make a little ball of it, put glue gel on the coral, then stick the ball to that, put more glue gel on the bottom of the ball, and stick the whole thing to the rock (makes the epoxy really mold to the coral and the rock). You can do the whole thing outside of water if you want. I usually do the glue/ball thing out side of water and the final sticking to the rock part in the water since the rock is probably a part of a larger structure.

Chipster67

Thanks ks for the info.. looks like I have some waterweld shopping to do :) and then find a good spot..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk