New apartment, new tank.... of course... and selling old one :(

Mulling around setting up a new tank after I get all moved in and settled.
So far with space that I have I'm thinking of a cube, either 36x36x24 or 24x24x20 or anything between those sizes.
Sent out quotes to reef savvy, mirricals, coast to coast, and took a gander at glass cages. I've also noticed that SCA makes some decently priced low iron tanks but have read bad review about them.
I'm thinking of having the manufacture make the stand also, both for the warranty on the tank and because I'll be without a basement.
As far as equipment this is what I've come up with after a few min. of browsing BRS

Return: varios-2 by Reef Octopus
Heater: 2 100w Eheim
Skimmer: Omega 130 by Vertex
Top off: Osmolator Universal 3155
Circulation: Vortech MP 40 (from current 120)
Light: Custom LED by reefledlights
Sump: cube 24 by building an obsession . com
Control: APEX (carry over from 120)
Rocks: 100 lbs of reef saver

Main design goal of the tank is to not have it leak (as always) but in this case it did take a little convincing for the landlord to allow me to have a fish tank. Second goal is for it to be as near silent as I can get it since it'll be in a living room.

If you guys have anything to add or change as far as ideas or equipment feel free to chime in.,,, actually please chime in it bugs me when I post something and it has 100 views and one comment,,, kinda makes me feel like I'm talking to myself.

anarchy

[MENTION=2397]r33fswagg3r[/MENTION] is selling a reef savvy 50 gallon brand new and im selling a 93 rimless cube

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

anarchy

And if you want silent id either do herbie or bean animal drains

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

I'd recommend against the Vertex Omega. I have the 150 on my setup, and although it does pull out good skimmate, it's a pain to dial in and adjust. I have a bit of OCD and I designed my dump around the red, white, and clear color scheme so I'm stuck until I can justify a Bubble King. But I'd suggest something in the Aquamaxx, Reef Octopus, or RLSS line. I had a RO Diablo 160 on my 18" cube + frag tank. Way oversized, but I stocked heavy. That thing was a workhorse. Filled up the cup every couple of days with dark skimmate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#theMatrix

I was going to say try a NYOS skimmer.
Everything else sounds like a good set up for the long run.
Thats the goal yes? Long term success in reef keeping? Hopefully you wont have to upgrade equipment with the set up you have planned im sure your set. If your looking for reviews on the manucatures youve done some research already from what it sounds. You might be looking for a popular pick for a tank.

Lets say you go with X manufacturer. Hows a coast to coast ghost overflow sound? That would be my choice a coast to coasr overflow keeping the skimming at surface to maximum. Sure this is great and i wish i had thought of much more originally. But even my set up has gone trough equipment upgrades more than several times.

Need a push? Get something you feel peace at mind and satisfies your needs and goals with the system

I was going to say try a NYOS skimmer.
Everything else sounds like a good set up for the long run.
Thats the goal yes? Long term success in reef keeping? Hopefully you wont have to upgrade equipment with the set up you have planned im sure your set. If your looking for reviews on the manucatures youve done some research already from what it sounds. You might be looking for a popular pick for a tank.

Lets say you go with X manufacturer. Hows a coast to coast ghost overflow sound? That would be my choice a coast to coasr overflow keeping the skimming at surface to maximum. Sure this is great and i wish i had thought of much more originally. But even my set up has gone trough equipment upgrades more than several times.

Need a push? Get something you feel peace at mind and satisfies your needs and goals with the system

I have a coast to coast external with a Bean animal on my 120 now. My issue is that this is going to be very visible from 3 sides (that's if it doesn't end up in the corner of the room) and I am not crazy on how a coast to coast looks from the side (pipes sticking out and running down the back)... But that being said if the prices come in and I can afford to add that feature I'll definitely be looking long and hard at that. This has the potential to be the first glass custom tank I order which I'm excited about. Mine is acrylic now. I will eventually upgrade the lighting but I'm limited to what the mighty dollar can let me do on that front.

I'll try to find them. There were a few where people where complaining about how easily the glass scratched. One guy talked about owning low iron glass before and how his SCA tank was more easily scratched then anything he owned.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd recommend against the Vertex Omega. I have the 150 on my setup, and although it does pull out good skimmate, it's a pain to dial in and adjust. I have a bit of OCD and I designed my dump around the red, white, and clear color scheme so I'm stuck until I can justify a Bubble King. But I'd suggest something in the Aquamaxx, Reef Octopus, or RLSS line. I had a RO Diablo 160 on my 18" cube + frag tank. Way oversized, but I stocked heavy. That thing was a workhorse. Filled up the cup every couple of days with dark skimmate.

Did you have that vertex 150 on your 80?

Spartanman22

Yes, still do. Like I said it's working well now, but took a long time to dial in and is a bit fidgety.

You could also look into the OR-T247's. One fixture should be good for a 24" tanks and even likely a 36".

I got mine for about $150 each. Throw in the bluefish mini mod and you'll have a wifi controlled led light for $250.

Yes, still do. Like I said it's working well now, but took a long time to dial in and is a bit fidgety.

You could also look into the OR-T247's. One fixture should be good for a 24" tanks and even likely a 36".

I got mine for about $150 each. Throw in the bluefish mini mod and you'll have a wifi controlled led light for $250.

I have my old custom LED fixture that I plan on bringing back from the dead. I just need to rewire the ballasts. I'm hoping that the vertex 130 won't be too finicky since it's not too oversized for the tank. How much did you have to dial back your vortech. I'm somewhat nervous having my return be a DC pump and be at the whim of some POS power supply.

Eddie79

Premium member
The reef savvy tank with the ghost overflow that r33fswaag3r has is amazing. I'm just poor or I'd have it, haha.

Spartanman22

I've had a D.C. Return pump for several years now. The first two I had were Jebao's. The first one died within 1 year. The second one lasted for a year then I shut down the tank.

I currently run the Ecotech Vectra M1 and love it. The thing is dead silent. You can't even tell it's running.

I'm not sure if you meant Vertex or Vortech, but my MP40's are running at about 60-65% depending on the mode. I've got the Vertex setup with the air wide open and the outlet closed about 75%. This gets me a good dark skimmate.

#theMatrix

Well. I have a 6ft long and have 2 mp40 on each end. The flow at the center could be better. This is at 50 percent each. I have set them to 70 percent before and i still think i need more flow.

Im olaning in getting a 3rd mp40 and will offset them to create a circular gyre

Just looked at r33fswaag3r's reef savy cube that he had. Decided that it was a good fit and probably a better size for apartment living then a 90 cube anyways. Looking over equipment I think everything scales down to 50 gallons. Props to r33fswaag3r .

Spartanman22

Yeah I meant the Ecotech vectra M1 return. Do you run it at 100% or have it dialed back.
I currently have it at 100%. I was running it at 50% but it was having issues with my overflow. The overflow box would fill up then siphon empty real quick over and over. As a result there was an annoying whistling sound as all the water rushed down the drain pipe and pushed all the air out of the vent hole on top of the drain pipe. So I bumped up the Vectra to 100% and now the water level in the overflow box is constant.

Woo black Friday and deals. So far have received return pump and skimmer. Just ordered heaters, top off and fancy porous block thingy. I ordered the skimmer a few days ago and saw that it went on sale on marine depot. I called up BRS and asked for them to match the price instead of me having to ship it back to them and order it from Marine Depot. Surprisingly they had no issue with that and refunded 60+ dollars to my account, which was pretty nice of them.