New Fish Introduction Thread

New Fish

Thank you to everyone at Chicago Reefs for welcoming us into the community. New Fish has been maintaining some of Chicagoland's nicest tanks since 2007 but we decided to go into the retail business in March of 2010.

Our owner James has always been interested in aquariums and has had tanks ever since he was a kid. After getting out of the hobby for a while he saw a reef tank and was so impressed with the fact that people could now keep coral that he had to try it himself. Since the aquarium hobby was such a big part of his life, James decided to make a business out of it and here we are!

Our contact information and hours are:

We have a wide selection of marine and freshwater dry goods, aquariums, saltwater fish, SPS, LPS, soft coral, zoanthids, anemones, freshwater fish, freshwater plants, and more! We are always interested in bringing in new and interesting products so please feel free to shoot us a PM if you are interested in something that you don't see posted.

We will always extend a 10% discount to Chicago Reefs members and will post new threads with monthly discounts and sometimes even weekly specials. We just started carrying the phyto2 brand of coral foods and are currently offering 20% off ALL in stock coral foods. This includes refrigerated, frozen, and dry coral foods while supplies last!!! Cannot be combined with any other discounts.

James unpacking our new phyto2 fridge and some of the products inside:

Dry Goods Selection:

Some coral foods ON SALE (only Rod's Coral Blend included of frozen food):

Last edited:

New Fish

We quarantine our fish with various medications including but not limited to copper, methalyne blue, melafix, and prazipro.

Quarantine Systems:

Some of our fish in quarantine that will be ready to go in one week:

New Fish

More fish in quarantine that will be ready next week:

We know you guys love Leopard Wrasses:

Our marine fish system:

New Fish

Our small inverts,LPS, Soft Corals, and zoanthids are lit by ReefLEDlights Phoenix fixtures with VHO actinics:

Some of the selection in the coral system:

maidia

Team CR
Very nice..Thanks for posting...Any idea for the price of the Leopard Wrasse...Hmm I will be there tomorrow at lunch time...

New Fish

Even more from the coral system:

Our SPS System is lit by 20k Radium Metal Halides and plumbed into the rest of the coral system:

New Fish

More from the SPS system:

We always have RODI and saltwater with either Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals but we also carry Tropic Marin salt:

Of course if you stop by you have to check out our 600g SPS Reef lit by Radiums and VHO Actinics:

And our big FOWLR angelfish only tank:

New Fish

For you freshwater guys and gals we are fully stocked with planted tank supplies, and all types of freshwater fish and inverts:

New Fish

That is about it for now! Please feel free to come check us out and contact us anytime here or by phone. We are happy to entertain special orders on fish and coral and try to bring in fish weekly and coral twice a month. We should have another HUGE coral shipment coming in around the first week of September. We are also working with your forum staff to plan a meet at the store sometime in the next month or 2. When that happens we'll make sure that we are fully stocked with everything a reefer could ever ask for. Remember, we are hobbyists just like all of you and love bringing in the nicest fish and corals possible!

madjoe

Premium member
Man i remember when yhat huge tank was just white rock and 5 leopard wrasses lol looks good now but i didnt see the leopard wrasses in there

Last edited:

New Fish

Very nice..Thanks for posting...Any idea for the price of the Leopard Wrasse...Hmm I will be there tomorrow at lunch time...
Awesome James :)
What kinda leapords are they ?? Blue star or ornate ??
Thank you very much! We have been working very hard to get the store where it is today! I do not have the most up-to-date price list in front of me right now so please call the store during normal business hours for the newest pricing and availability on the juvenile/female Blue Star Leopard Wrasses (Macropharyngodon bipartitus).

Man i remember when yhat huge tank was just white rock and 5 leopard wrasses lol looks good now but i didnt see the leopard wrasses in there
Thanks for the compliment on the SPS display! All of the leopards are still in there, many of them are now at their full adult size and still eating like pigs! Once we got the Moorish Idol out the tank has been doing great!

Very nice looking store... Thanks for sharing the pics.
Everything looks awesome!
Thank you!

I might also go there for a leopard as well.
Please feel free to visit or call in regarding pricing, availability, and holding one of the fish currently in QT. Remember they will not be ready to go for another week or so though.

Last edited:

maidia

Team CR
Paid for the Leopard Blue Star..Cannot wait ...Still in the QT for a week or so...

Better keep a good one for me :)