New glass or used acrylic?

caragol

So some pretty good used acrylic deals have been pointed out to me, but I've never had acrylic. How long does it last compared to glass? Upsides, downsides? Looking at a 240 or bigger at the moment.

MMreef

Acrylic tanks are lighter, harder to crack or breake, they are also clearer even compared to starphire glass. But they scratch just by looking at them, lol. This is a deal breaker for me, I always had glass tanks and most likely always will.

bryman

After scratching the crap out of my frag tank with just a plastic scraper, I don't think I could do large acrylic tank. My starphire in my tech scratches pretty easily too, but not nearly as easily as my acrylic frag tank.

mlreef

I have owned nothing but acrylic tanks over the years, people say how easy they are to scratch. In my opinion you really need to not be paying attention to scratch it. Also the clarity is second to none.

Also if you plan on moving this into your basement your better off with an acrylic tank.

I've moved Bad Gus's tank into his house (320 gallon glass) it took 10 to 12 of us. My 450 gallon tank took 5 people. Hope this helps.

caragol

So... kids will be involved, more likely scratches will happen, but a scratch can be buffed where a shatter can't. Are they really that easy to scratch? Someone said they can scratch with a paper towel, I assume that's hyperbole?

caragol

And do acrylic tanks really yellow? How old do they have to before you start to see this? Is it more noticeable than the green tint of standard glass?

Yes I have done it to a stocked tank. I have never seen any negative effects from this. Although my eels don't take kindly to a magnet moving rapidly in one area.

So... kids will be involved, more likely scratches will happen, but a scratch can be buffed where a shatter can't. Are they really that easy to scratch? Someone said they can scratch with a paper towel, I assume that's hyperbole?
You can scratch with a paper towel. And don't think that acrylic tanks don't break. Seams have been known to bust open with no warnings. But the biggest downside of owning an acrylic tank is cleaning it. At least it used to be until I found Dobie pads. Now, I don't mind it so much.

caragol

Ok... so I think I'd prefer glass but it's going to be a pain to get it downstairs. If I go acrylic it's going to be much easier to move and fix if there's an issue, but I'll have to go used and be ready to buff it regularly and use special cleaning pads.

What about yellowing, anyone ever actually seen an acrylic tank yellow?

capysolo

Ok... so I think I'd prefer glass but it's going to be a pain to get it downstairs. If I go acrylic it's going to be much easier to move and fix if there's an issue, but I'll have to go used and be ready to buff it regularly and use special cleaning pads.

What about yellowing, anyone ever actually seen an acrylic tank yellow?
I have a probably 15 year old acrylic tank my uncle gave me. Has not yellowed. It was setup for a while by him, then stored for who knows how long, then given to me. I stored it for a few years until my previous tank crashed, i then set it up. Looks great! I polished some with Novus. I can still see some deep scratches, but not bad. If i had taken the time to actually buff the whole thing, it would have been awesome! I don't think I've put any new scratches in, i use only stuff meant for acrylic, and am careful.

My next tank will be a large one, probably 8 foot. It will be acrylic as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

caragol

I think I'm going glass, the used acrylic one I was looking at fell through. I've reached out for a quote w/ shipping we'll see.

1mg

yellowing happens to acrylic from the sun. head lights are made out of acrylic so you can use a drill and any headlight resto kit to take out scratches.