New store location

mheredia

Hey everyone. Me and a couple of partners are opening up a new LFS.
What area in Chicago would this be best at and what does this new store need to make it better than the others.
We want to make this a community location.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
easy, take prices from Aquapros and move it into the city. Most LFS near the city are overpriced. Old Town Aquarium, Living Sea Aquarium, Old Orchard Aquarium...all overpriced. A couple of other things:

- Clearly show prices for ALL corals
- Have a good QT system for fish
- Just be friendly to customers. Create relationships. Know your customers' tanks. It amazes me how some LFS do not know anything about "customer service".
- Create coral sections. SPS tank / zoa tank / LPS tank / etc. Then it's easy for your customers to come in every time and head over to their fav section
- Hold classes / seminars for newbies
- Be close to the highway. Local traffic sucks.

Last edited:

GBeck87

I feel like there only over priced in the city due to the overhead of having a business in the city. Not cheap to rent

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

cet98

I have a better question, with all the "in home" businesses in the entire Chicagoland area, why would anyone want to open a B&M LFS?......

ColaAddict

I have a better question, with all the "in home" businesses in the entire Chicagoland area, why would anyone want to open a B&M LFS?......
I think people selling in home are kinda stuck just selling in the forums, which is a pretty small market. U make more money opening up a store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mishmaster

All of ninjamyst's points are spot on!

Craig also makes an excellent point, I've already been to the homes of several reefers (both on CR and CL) that have a mini LFS in their basement/living room, means low overhead and likely no licensing fees, liabilities lowered, better hours, more savings and profits.

label those prices like old town, its really awkward to keep asking how much

don't have any fish that are sick or not eating on display, keep those in the back please.

rewards program!

Facebook page which is updated with your latest shipment and pics

be friendly and inviting, smile.

allow customers to order specific fish and corals

Last edited:

mheredia

Live cam! Awesome idea. I actually have a live cam on my home tank and can easily be setup on every tank on display. Sweet!

Gary

My issue with LFS's are that they cater to one group or the other. Not all.

You got stores that sells no frags, only colonies, you got stores who only sell cheap stuff and common stuff, you got stores that sell mostly fish very little corals, and no store has a good selection of high end foods and other stuff. I'm not referring to Ecotech, AI, Apex, and dry goods like that. I'm referring to stores that have several brands of salt, tons of food options, both dry and frozen, tons of other cool accessories.

I'm in the city, and I have no store to go to. I'd like something a bit closer instead of an hour drive to AP.

But to answer your question, diversity. We need more of it.

SkullV

With current legislative action on the ornamental marine industry I wouldn't put a cent into a brick and mortar store that isn't already established. Initial investment is HUGE to start up a store that has any chance of being successful in competing with all of the "home start-ups". Honestly, if you are really interested in trying to make some $$ in this industry, I would set up something in my home or a small industrial space that isn't necessarily open to the public, buy up all the high end corals I could, and grow them out to supply the established LFS locations with nice livestock when collection and import regulations become really difficult to circumvent. Make sure to get the proper business licenses and any other aquaculture licenses you may need. My guess is those are also going be more heavily scrutinized in the coming years or even months with the regulatory attention our hobby is getting. It's already becoming a problem in Florida, FWC is shutting down all kinds of hobbyists selling out of their garages for not having the proper permits.

On top of that, if you are dead set on doing it, the number one thing I look for in a fish store is healthy livestock. Variety is great, but even if the store carries nothing but "bread and butter" fish like chromis, firefish, etc., I'm more likely to shop there for my dry goods or CUC if there are no visible diseases or parasites on the fish and corals. Locationwise, I think the area is pretty saturated to be honest. Maybe something on the south side between New Fish and NW Indiana along I94?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Way to take an upbeat thread down Ted :)

To add to the original request, good prices are almost a most for reoccurring business as chicago is cheap. Low priced everyday consumables like salt and food will go a long way to making repeat business.

Personally easy accessibility from a major expressway is a must and I'd love to see one somewhere south of downtown and east of Tinley Park.

SkullV

Way to take an upbeat thread down Ted :)

To add to the original request, good prices are almost a most for reoccurring business as chicago is cheap. Low priced everyday consumables like salt and food will go a long way to making repeat business.

Personally easy accessibility from a major expressway is a must and I'd love to see one somewhere south of downtown and east of Tinley Park.
Hey Craig started it! If the question was what is your dream LFS I would have had plenty of answers.

mishmaster

I think you should go for it man, walk into "Chicago aquarium" in Andersonville, if that crappy little store can still keep its doors open, then imagine what you can do! You just have to be better than your competitors and people will quickly notice.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I think a lot of LFS actually make most of there money doing aquarium servicing and installation. They install an aquarium for some organization or wealthy family, then make an account for them where they service the tank every couple of weeks. The store itself is like a hq where employees can come back to and clients can come switch out fish if they get bored.

mheredia

I'm coming from a background of 12 years management and owned a marketing company for 3 years. I'm confident in what we can do but I know there's not that ONE store that has everything. This is why I'm asking for opinions from hobbyists like myself. I think with everyone's help we can all create the best store! I'll be happy to throw in some free corals and goodies to you all :)
GoFundMe page coming also!

grumpy

Just wanted to add specific hobby plumbing like bulk heads plastic hose clamps things geared for aquarium builds that your hardware stores don't carry. Things that are only available on line that most stores don't carry. For example netting to make tank lids. The store to go to that has everything for a tank build. JMO