New style Biocube 29 lighting help

Mooney190

Alright everyone, I have officially decided I do NOT like the look of the blue atinic bulb in the Biocube. I already have all 5 of the LED slots full with the LED strips made by coralife. These strips are really only for looks, they aren't powerful enough to increase coral growth, but I love the look. I want to keep the stock 10k cf bulb in there, but rig a blue LED strip in place of the atinic. I need it to be strong enough to actually grow corals. Does anyone have suggestions as to what LEDs I can use?.

Mooney190

Thanks for the input, but that is not where I plan on taking this. I don't want to completely gut the current lighting setup. I just want to take out the atinic bulb, and replace it with some sort of LED strip/lights.

Here is a picture of what my lighting looks like now. If I take out that atinic bulb, I have about 12 inches long and 3 inches wide of free space to play with. View attachment 19509

Mooney190

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about! Think I should do the 20k, or the all blue? I want great coral growth, but I want colors to pop more. Suggestions?

Mooney190

How about a true diy led system. Has anybody ever bought Cree LED lights, and composed their own lighting system? I am handy with soldering, wiring, and electronics, and was thinking this may be possible. I can buy 3 or 5 watt Cree LED bulbs, and solder them inside the hood of my biocube. Thoughts??