New tank setup

New tank, 75 to a 150

Moving to a 150, starts post 11

So I joined a while ago and was super excited to be an active member and then life got in the way, buying a house, career changes, and countless hours getting my new tank setup. My last tank was a 40 breeder that I started outgrowing. I built this large stand in anticipation of a larger tank but ended up with the 75 gallon and using my old freshwater 55 converted as a sump. I was origionally using the cheap ebay led lights and did not like them as much as Id hoped so a few weeks ago I decided the Kessils where the way to go for me since I really like the clean modern look of them.
So my build for the 75 includes the following:
75 gal rr tank
55 gal custom sump with 5" deep sand bed in fuge
Total volume of 110ish gallons
Eheim return pump
Eheim pump powering a carbon and gfo reactor and uv sterilizer
auto aqua smart ato
Bubble magus c5.5 protien skimmer
2 hydor powerheads and wave maker
Kessil a360WE with controller
Bulk reef supply rodi system (best investment ever)

Live stock includes
2 dwarf golden moray eels (elusive creatures, cant get a picture of them)
Coral Beauty
3 Bartlett anthias
3 snowflake clownfish (largest was my first saltwater fish)
2 green chromis's
and an engineer goby

I want one more fish kind, one that would swim the whole tank maybe on the larger side. Any recommendations?

Heres some pics: feedback welcome!

View attachment 18393
View attachment 18394
View attachment 18395
View attachment 18396
View attachment 18397
View attachment 18398
View attachment 18399
View attachment 18400
View attachment 18401
View attachment 18393
View attachment 18394
View attachment 18395
View attachment 18396
View attachment 18397
View attachment 18398
View attachment 18399
View attachment 18400
View attachment 18401

Last edited:

jrwoltman

Great start, wow you have a lot of corals already. Congrats on a great looking tank!!! I would watch that xenia though, or it is going to take over your tank.

I thought about a tang, heard they are very prone to disease so I have been questioning if I really want one. Is that true?
Triggers require a much larger tank don't they?

Noted on the engineer! Free to a good home!

madjoe

Premium member
I thought about a tang, heard they are very prone to disease so I have been questioning if I really want one. Is that true?
Triggers require a much larger tank don't they?

Noted on the engineer! Free to a good home!
Blue throat triggers r really the only trugger id recomend for a reef they will be ok in a 75 for while tangs r prone but some more then others . Definitly stay away from dory and powder tangs unless u have a qt . And yea those engineer gobies look cool but i didnt know this til a yr ago they get big and make a mess of your tank and hard to catch without breaking down tank so ive been told and thats never fun .

Danieldv6

Blue throat triggers r really the only trugger id recomend for a reef they will be ok in a 75 for while tangs r prone but some more then others . Definitly stay away from dory and powder tangs unless u have a qt . And yea those engineer gobies look cool but i didnt know this til a yr ago they get big and make a mess of your tank and hard to catch without breaking down tank so ive been told and thats never fun .
Joe is the blonde naso as the powder brown for itch issues?

Some what recently my tank went through something and lost a bit of frogspawn, candy canes and a few zoas along with my anthias. Could have been worse but its recovering, definitely not what it was but in the time I found a deal on a 150 tank with an eshops sump and stand. I decided to redo the stand a little bit and reinforce it in some spots and then I repainted it, came out pretty nice. I was able to get it filled and cycling, pretty excited. Plans are to move everything I have in the 75 to it and then stuff it with some fish, find some more lps and flower nems to fill it out and then let it be. I have a current usa dc pump in it now and lit with those chinese leds and some bio bricks. My heater, uv sterilizer, and hydor wavemakers and reactors will go to it as well.

I need to figure out the skimmer, thinking an eshopps axium x220
And then the lights, it is a deep tank after all. I have the Kessils and was thinking about getting two more of those but then I thought about the new maxspect etherreals. Thoughts?

View attachment 20877