New tank

Ok so I got a new tank 40 breeder. I want to basically switch everything from the one tank into the new tank. I have some ideas on how to do it but any suggestions would be appreciated. I will cycle it first but should I move the sand before the cycle or not....etc., etc. Thanks for your help

scotty

YES!

a lot of people just buy new sand. if you have a deep enough sand bed you run the risk of releasing bad stuff if you stir it up moving it. I'm buying new sand, but that's because I don't like the black stuff in my sand, and I think its releasing silicate. It's a good time to replace if you want.

if you are moving over rock from another tank, you might not have a cycle, and if you do, you might not even notice it, something to consider.

ColaAddict

If you are moving the sand, move it before the cycle. When you stir up the sand, especially from an old system, you can end up releasing toxins/detritus that will start an instant cycle. If you add alot of old sand to a newly cycled tank with livestock in it, you could end up killing everything by adding alot of old sand with the livestock.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
You could keep a small amount of the old sand to help with cycling and clean the rest of it to re-use.