New Tank

Frank773

New to the forum and I am in the process of setting up a new Reef tank for the first time in about 10 years. I know many things have changed and wanted to get some advice on initial set-up. Here is what I am thinking of doing.

29-40 Gallon tank
I want my filtration to be based on the LR and LS in the tank and then a refugium/sump with chaeto, LR and LS. Maybe a skimmer?

My biggest questions are; what size sump should I get, and how do you figure out the flow rates? Should I drill the tank? If so where and how big? Should I make an overflow in the tank?
Hopefully you can see where I am going here.
Any help would be great!!

Frank

Tangency

Hi Frank

Regarding the sump... you should get as big as you can fit in your aquarium stand and under your tank. This provides a few benefits: increased water volume (easier to correct water quality problems) more room to house equipment (protein skimmer, return pump, heaters, reactors ect.) and space for your refugium.

Regarding water movement... The majority of your flow comes from your powerheads inside your display tank not your return. Your return pump only supplements the powerheads. In my experience if you have more flow from your return pump it pushes water quicker into your overflow and down to your sump. Even with durso pipes to quiet the flow it still sounds like a toilet flushing.

Drilling the tank requires some patience and some special bits for glass aquariums. If you are seriously thinking about this option, and on a budget, I recommend waiting until there is a deal on craiglist when someone wants to get out of their setup and is selling the whole system (rock, fish, test kits, heaters, skimmer, blah blah blah). You can always find a new home for any fish and corals you don't want (just give them away here or see if the LFS will take them). The cost may seem expensive at first but if you do the math I promise it will 1/2 of what you will end up spending.