New to CR!

eric85

Premium member
Hello Everyone!

I have been watching this site for awhile and thought it was time to post! Me and my wife live in the burbs (Carol Stream) and have a 38 gallon reef tank. I have had the tank for about 12-13 years and its been going great. The set up is simple with a HOB skimmer and a filter which only has carbon in it and a LED light from ReefBreeders. In side we have two clown fish that lay eggs about every other month, royal gramma and mandarin. Various Corals and an anemone with a porcelain crab. Our green toad stool has some frags which you see up front, if anyone lives close to Carol Stream and wants one let me know!

Would like to get rid of the HOB filter and get a reactor (maybe from BRS) to run carbon and GFO...... Recommendations?

Hopefully the pictures are actually attached :)

Some pictures:
View attachment 9107View attachment 9108

jrpark22000

Premium member
Welcome and glad you shared! 12-13 years? Wow, very nice.

For reactors it's hard to beat BRS canisters, easy to setup and clean. If you like larger reactors, I like Avast marine.

100LL

I run single BRS Deluxe reactors for carbon and GFO and they work fine. I previously ran carbon and GFO separate, but started running them together in the same reactor 6 months ago. Also, the biggest lesson I can share about GFO is that more is NOT better.

eric85

Premium member
I run single BRS Deluxe reactors for carbon and GFO and they work fine. I previously ran carbon and GFO separate, but started running them together in the same reactor 6 months ago. Also, the biggest lesson I can share about GFO is that more is NOT better.

Thanks for the info!