New to Reefing

Rallos

Hi guys,

Been lurking for a little bit now and I figured I should make an intro post. I just got into the SW part of the hobby from freshwater. All I have right now is a little 5.5g pico reef tank at the office. So far it's been a blast. Looking forward to when I have more room in the house for a big tank.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Welcome to CR neighbor, I'm just over in Highland. Please share pics of the pico. We all love photos and tiny tanks are always cool.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Looks good. You've got enough flow and I used the same tunze nano ATO on my pico. Becarful the flost liked to stick on the version I had when used on thin glass. The outside magnet could still pull on the float due to the thin glass.

Some Zoas or Palys would go well. Leathers can get quite big and play chemical warfare, not sure if the pico has enough water volume to keep up with it. The nem will get bigger than your tank, so it'll fill the tank quite nicely in time.

Rallos

Haha! Thanks for the positive responses. Where is the best place to get a few colorful zoa frags? Also, can I scrape them off the plug and glue to my branch rock? I think that would look neat.

As for the nem, I plan to frag it and sell the clone once it gets big enough to be a problem if it hasnt split by then.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Haha! Thanks for the positive responses. Where is the best place to get a few colorful zoa frags? Also, can I scrape them off the plug and glue to my branch rock? I think that would look neat.

As for the nem, I plan to frag it and sell the clone once it gets big enough to be a problem if it hasnt split by then.
Aquatica in Tinley Park isn't far from you, they'll have the biggest selection close to us. The ARK pet shop out by 65 on 30 has a couple usually on hand, but dull in color.

1fishjones

Premium member
Welcome to CR Rallos you will find lots of friendly helpful people & it's a great place to learn. Be careful with the Zoas! Look into poly toxins before you start cutting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rallos

Yeah I usually shop at the ARK. They are good people there. They dont usually have a great selection of zoas though. Their saltwater guy Paul said that they don't make much money off of zoas and there isn't much demand at that store so they just dont order many. I'll have to check out Aquatica, are there prices reasonable?

Also, has anyone shopped online at KP Aquatics? They come highly recommended from another forum and I sent them a few emails with questions and they are very quick to respond and knowlegeable.

I've read up on palytoxin... sounds nasty. Will definitely wear gloves and glasses when I do it. Should I be able to just scrape them off or will I have to remove bits of the plug around them?

1fishjones

Premium member
Being relatively new to saltwater myself I'll leave that for the pros to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irsug1

Premium member
If it is a flat plug, it should be relatively easy to scrape them off. If it's rock, then cutting the rock is probably a better option.