New to the forum!

rattyE36

Hey everyone!

So a few years back when I knew even less than I do now I used to have a 29G "saltwater tank" it was an eclipse freshwater hood with stock lighting and stock filtration. Needless to say it was an effing nightmare! It ended up being too much to maintain without the proper equipment and I couldn't keep anything alive. I gave away what was still alive and went back to freshwater. Now its years later and I just got a JBJ Nano Cube 12G DX and I'm looking to dive right in and hopefully get a nice little nano reef going. I like that this forum is local and hopefully once my tank gets started and cycled I'll be able to score some nice corals from users on here! Just wanted to say hi and also just FYI my tank is literally still in the box as I'm shopping around for live rock and sand, so if anyone has any or has any recommendations on a place that is not over priced then please let me know! I'm open to as many tips and suggestions as people are willing to offer! I already know that I want to upgrade the return and the nozzle on the jbj with a maxi jet 900 and a hydro-flo as well as an in tank powerhead to stimulate some of the action in the water.

Anyways i think that's it for now, I'll probably post up more once the tank is actually set-up!

p.s. also looking for a stand for the nano 12

-Brad

jcarlilesiu

Welcome to the forum. You will find a whole host of knowledgeable and nice people around here willing to help you out however they can.

Start a build thread for your nano with pictures and show us your progress.

lunacris

Welcome. Just read a email from living sea. When u buy 10 lbs its 395 a pound. Never bought live rock from here but buy alot of cleaners and they have some decent deals.

jcarlilesiu

I wasn't very happy with Living Seas live rock. Unlike some stores that carry live rock with a lot of natural growth, obviously seeded in the ocean, theirs simply looks like cured base rock that is now live.

Nothing wrong with that as you won't get any hitch hikers, both positive and negative, but I wouldn't pay anything over the cost of regular base rock for it.

Best place for live rock, with lots of natural growth I have found is Ocean Design Aquarium on W. Irving Park Road in Chicago.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

MMreef

+1 on Ocean Design Aquarium.Tony the owner is a great guy to deal with.Right now they are relocating to a different location.They have some good deals on fish and corals.Store will be there till end of July.

mr_z

welcome i have a 12gl jbj dx i just got about 2-3 weeks ago its my first reef ive had fish only saltwater tank and decided to start up with somthing small because they say if you can take care of a small tank a large one practically takes care of itself. lol. good luck and the key is patience.

rattyE36

Thanks for all the positive welcomes! I got the nano all unboxed and set out tonight. As soon as I pick up some sand and rock I'll start up a build thread. Also I will for sure be checking out Ocean Design Aquarium because I live on Irving so it cant be too far and if they are moving maybe I can get a hook-up on the stuff I need to get started!

rattyE36

Placed a nice big order to Foster and Smith this morning! Should be everything I need to get my tank going (supply wise)

I got a Maxijet 900 to replace the stock pump, a bio-cube 240gph powerhead, a hydro flo adapter to replace the stock return nozzle, the api master test kit, "cycle" start off biology and some other odds and ends! Now I just need to get sand and rocks and get started on my aquascape and then its time to add water!

jcarlilesiu

Placed a nice big order to Foster and Smith this morning! Should be everything I need to get my tank going (supply wise)

I got a Maxijet 900 to replace the stock pump, a bio-cube 240gph powerhead, a hydro flo adapter to replace the stock return nozzle, the api master test kit, "cycle" start off biology and some other odds and ends! Now I just need to get sand and rocks and get started on my aquascape and then its time to add water!
sounds great. Let the adventure begin.

Be sure to read up on cycling the tank with ammonia or a raw shrimp before adding lives stock.